Comments upon replaying HttT with 1.1

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Comments upon replaying HttT with 1.1

Post by quartex »

Since non of my old savefiles will load, I'm replaying Heir to the Throne on Wesnoth 1.1. It's been a long time since I play through that campaign and I am enjoying the improved scenarios. But I have a few comments on the new version of Wesnoth:

In the scenario "Crossroads", Delfador says "We should go to the northwest". But the starting base in already at the northwest corner of the map. I remember the scenario used to have you start at the southern edge of the map. I think the dialogue should be changed, becuase it looks like now you are supposed to go east.

I like the coloring of the text in the unit stats block. But I'm confused by the different coloring of the XP value for different units. Some units are light blue, some purple, some other colors. I noticed that the color of the XP value matched the color of the unit's XP bar. But why should different units have different colors? This is paticularly annoying for outlaw units, which have a dark purple text, which is hard to read.

Finally when a horseman advanced I was given the option of a lancer or a knight. I was surprised to see that the on the image of the knight unit I could advance to, the barding of the knight was pink. Yet when I chose the knight, the actual unit had red barding. Then I noticed that my red units had red highlights on their unit images and some blue orcs had blue orcs. Do the highlights on the unit's images change color based on what side controls them?

Overall I'm impressed by all the improvements since 1.0.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Nevermind about the horsemen. I didn't realize that the female knights have pink barding and the male knights have red barding.

Also does the purple color of the XP text mean that your unit has reached it's maximum level? I can't tell if the Xp text colors are supposed to be based on the level of the unit.
scott

Post by scott »

Hey welcome back or welcome "back". Either way is fine.

Check the dialogue again in crossroads. I can't find northwest anywhere.

The colored text is in flux, as are the pink units. They're not supposed to appear pink in the various dialogue boxes, but they do. Pink is being used as a type of alpha color that gets converted to the team's color on-the-fly.

We'll get there! By the way, if you want your campaign to be available in 1.1, see if it works and re-upload it. There is a different server for 1.1+ now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

quartex wrote:Nevermind about the horsemen. I didn't realize that the female knights have pink barding and the male knights have red barding.

Also does the purple color of the XP text mean that your unit has reached it's maximum level? I can't tell if the Xp text colors are supposed to be based on the level of the unit.
You are seeing the results of two projects in progress. The first one is going by the monicker Team Coloring(TC). It is now possible to define a set of colors for a unit that get turned by the engine into shades of the color from the unit's team's color. There is still some coding that needs to be done to get it to work properly in all the dialogs. Also, there are some units where the graphics are being updated faster than the WML. You might have discovered a bug where the female variation of the knight did not get the appropriate WML addition. The colors that get replaced can be anything, but most of the artists working on this have settled on using a pinkish purplish magenta, so when TC doesn't work, you see oddly pink units in game.

The purple color of the XP text if for units that have reached max-level so that any XP they get will go towards AMLA and not a full leveling up with a full heal. The colors for this are in flux and will be changed in the near future.

Glad to see you back.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

quartex wrote:Nevermind about the horsemen. I didn't realize that the female knights have pink barding and the male knights have red barding.
There are no female units in the horseman line!
Anyway making a pink female knight would cancel out all the political correctness of making a female knight. :wink:
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Specially since pink was the color of men in times past. Only men deserved the flashier colors.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

scott wrote:Hey welcome back or welcome "back". Either way is fine.

Check the dialogue again in crossroads. I can't find northwest anywhere.

The colored text is in flux, as are the pink units. They're not supposed to appear pink in the various dialogue boxes, but they do. Pink is being used as a type of alpha color that gets converted to the team's color on-the-fly.

We'll get there! By the way, if you want your campaign to be available in 1.1, see if it works and re-upload it. There is a different server for 1.1+ now.
Scott. You're right. It's northeast, not northwest. I was confused.

I don't try to compile the CVS versions, so I'm just using 1.1. I tested the campaign server with 1.1 and found UTBS to be there. Are you saving that for every version after 1.1 there will be a new server? If I have to use a post 1.1 version to upload UTBS, I'll guess I'll have to wait until 1.2 is released.

I thought the red and pink knights had different hairstyles, but it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. I love the idea of parts of the images being able to change based on the team color. It reminds me of the units from Warcraft.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

quartex wrote: I don't try to compile the CVS versions, so I'm just using 1.1. I tested the campaign server with 1.1 and found UTBS to be there. Are you saving that for every version after 1.1 there will be a new server? If I have to use a post 1.1 version to upload UTBS, I'll guess I'll have to wait until 1.2 is released.
The dev campaign server is already running, but 1.1 points to the 1.0 server. 1.1.1 will point to the new one. You can also reach it by using campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003