In regards to flying units:

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

In regards to flying units:

Post by JW »

turin wrote: we could create a special ability, Flying, that made a unit immune to melee attacks when defending.
The idea of gryphons and bats and other bird types being vulnerable to melee damage on defense seems perplexing to some Wesnoth players. It makes sense that ranged attacks would be effective against them, but how would they be hit by say, a sword? Wouldn't they just fly away and avoid any damage?

I would like to see the following come about in this thread:
:arrow: What ideas are there to change how flyers work to better match our intuitive understanding of how flyers would re/act?
:arrow: Achieve a satisfactory explanation as to why flyers work the way they currently do

Note that changing how flyers work does not necessarily mean changing abilities of flyers or adding new abilities. It may simply mean a change in defense or resistancies, possibly both, a change in attacks, etc.

I want any and all ideas. Thank you for them.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I always thought drakes might be easily tired and so can only fly for short peroids of time (at least thats what I tell myself). DOesn't work as well for bats though (maybe bats are just stupid).
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

If we follow Darth Fool's view, which says that fliers have to rest and land after moving, or follow mine that says they aren't doing high flying during an skirmish for fighting reasons, we could get away with giving them skirmish when they move, and being susceptible to ZoC in any other situation.

Then a flying Gryphon, Bat, anything could sweep through enemies by flying fast or high when moving, but then be ZoC'ed. Problem comes when they are already ZoC'ed, should we let them fly through openings to escape or not?, i say no, for gameplay mainly (if you ZoC'ed it, do reap your rewards), and for realism in that the unit wouldn't be able to get the initial lift to fly. But with this take, how hard would it be to code?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

if we get some flying animations going it could actually look like the units fly for a burst, then land. I don't think constantly flapping units are a good idea no matter what the concept of what they are doing is.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
JW

Post by JW »

I wonder if it is possible for a unit to have different defenses based on attack range? If so I see a simple solution of having a higher defense for flyers against melee than ranged.

To throw out some numbers: 40% defense against ranged, 70% defense v. melee while on defense. When attacking I imagine 50% would be suitable for both melee and ranged, although no flyers I know of use ranged attacks.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Don't the Drake Gliders have a ranged attack? Well it's not very ranged anyway...

Flying ability could be a Steadfast mod. When defending in melee, flyer would have x% of resistance. Or we could have a Hardness mod. Flyers could have hardness against all melee attacks, when defending.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

How's this: Creatures with "Flying" ability always have 70% defense against melee when they are the defender.

KISS.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Flyers definitely shouldn't have extra resistance against melee when defending. They are hard to hit, not hard to damage if the hit lands. Perhaps they could have a fixed defense value on melee defense, like 70%? However, it wouldn't be immediately clear which takes precedence, attacker's magical/marksman or the flying defender's fixed defense.

Personally, I'd just like flyers to be immune to ZoC and melee of non-flyers.

EDIT:
Elvish Pillager wrote:How's this: Creatures with "Flying" ability always have 70% defense against melee when they are the defender.
Well, that was somewhat simultaneous...
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

zookeeper wrote:However, it wouldn't be immediately clear which takes precedence, attacker's magical/marksman or the flying defender's fixed defense.
Yes it would - magic ignores defense. And this is a defense-setting ability.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

It sounds - so far - that a fixed 70% defense against melee attacks when passive is winning as an idea. But is it possible to code?
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Elvish Pillager wrote:How's this: Creatures with "Flying" ability always have 70% defense against melee when they are the defender.

KISS.
This sounds good to me, but I was under impression that the terrain was the only thing that should modify the defense %? I fail to see why though. I see that the abilities modify just about every other rule in the game...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:It sounds - so far - that a fixed 70% defense against melee attacks when passive is winning as an idea. But is it possible to code?
I don't see why not. However, it should only apply to melee attacks of non-flyers, yes?
Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes it would - magic ignores defense. And this is a defense-setting ability.
Says who or what? AFAIK, magical gives you a fixed % chance of hitting the enemy. That's what it says in-game, after all. The flying ability would give you a fixed defense %, which is pretty much the same thing.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Are there any magical melee weapons?

(There could be if there isn't anyway. Forgive me for a stupid question.)
JW

Post by JW »

zookeeper wrote:
JW wrote:It sounds - so far - that a fixed 70% defense against melee attacks when passive is winning as an idea. But is it possible to code?
I don't see why not. However, it should only apply to melee attacks of non-flyers, yes?
Hmm...would flyers hit normally against other flyers or also at 70% miss?
zookeeper wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Yes it would - magic ignores defense. And this is a defense-setting ability.
Says who or what? AFAIK, magical gives you a fixed % chance of hitting the enemy. That's what it says in-game, after all. The flying ability would give you a fixed defense %, which is pretty much the same thing.
You said it yourself. Besides, magic should always take precedent over the mundane.

-edit-
deserter wrote:Are there any magical melee weapons?

(There could be if there isn't anyway. Forgive me for a stupid question.)
Yes. Elvish Shyde in default. Also, Rogue Mage has a magical sword for the Outlaw faction I believe.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:Hmm...would flyers hit normally against other flyers or also at 70% miss?
Normally. The whole 70% defense on melee is justified with how difficult it would be for a ground unit to hit a flyer, so that ability should not apply when another flyer attacks.
JW wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Says who or what? AFAIK, magical gives you a fixed % chance of hitting the enemy. That's what it says in-game, after all. The flying ability would give you a fixed defense %, which is pretty much the same thing.
You said it yourself. Besides, magic should always take precedent over the mundane.
I agree that magical would take precedence. All I said that it would not be immediately clear.