Changing energy damage types

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

scott wrote:I like the slay idea as well.
Yeah, slay seems better as it's more universal.

Energy attack doesn't sound appaling ot me BTW...
I would propose Magic attack, but Magical is already there and they would be mixed easily... Of course one gets used to "Energy" but now it sounds a bit weird.
toms

Post by toms »

Weeeell, the same as for other damage type changes counts here for me. :o :evil:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Mikko

Post by Mikko »

I think that adding a damage type is not an effective solution to the problem. Energy is overly complicated and unintuitive. If lightning damage is considered to be a subtype of energy damage, why does it affect undead so strongly? All this metaphysical rambling might be avoided easily, if the holy damage type was removed altogether. In its place, white mages might deal fire damage in the same way as regular mages.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

"Slay" is a sound suggested for a weapon special, but I'd really rather not see it used in this context.

I also like the idea of having four damage types, but I'm afraid that "energy" and "null" strike me as unintuitive. What is "null"? What would be its strengths and weaknesses?

I'd prefer to see:
Fire
Frost
Light
Shadow

Holy would become "Light", and we'd add a new damage type for Undead called "Shadow", which carries far richer connotations than "Null". Having "Light" and "Shadow" also lessens the religious symbolism somewhat, though still leaving it open to interpretation.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JW

Post by JW »

Sangel wrote:Holy would become "Light", and we'd add a new damage type for Undead called "Shadow", which carries far richer connotations than "Null". Having "Light" and "Shadow" also lessens the religious symbolism somewhat, though still leaving it open to interpretation.
Light nad shadow are kinda silly if you ask me. I'm going to be hurt by darkness?

Null is the lack of energy or the removal of energy. Energy is the opposite.

Null would be the most devastating of all magic types if it existed in the game. It could have effects akin to disintegrate in DnD I imagine.
Airk

Post by Airk »

How about "Void" instead of "null"?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The problem, IMHO, with void and null is that they do not sound good as damge types. Try seriously saying "the Lich dealt 15 points of void damage to the dwarven warrior." I would suggest using "mystical" damage to replace "holy" and "spectral" damage for the newly proposed shadow/null/void damage.
Airk

Post by Airk »

Darth Fool wrote:The problem, IMHO, with void and null is that they do not sound good as damge types. Try seriously saying "the Lich dealt 15 points of void damage to the dwarven warrior."
Maybe I've been playing too many console RPGs, but "void damage" is pretty normal in my mind. ;) As is "negative energy" for that matter, though that one is kinda long.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I agree with Darth Fool, "void" and "null" and even "negative energy" are all concepts I'd immediately associate with physics. Perhaps they are used in certain console games, but their natural "implication" is not of a damage.

"Spectral" and "Mystical" have quite a nice ring. Or possibly "Spiritual"?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JW

Post by JW »

Airk wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:The problem, IMHO, with void and null is that they do not sound good as damge types. Try seriously saying "the Lich dealt 15 points of void damage to the dwarven warrior."
Maybe I've been playing too many console RPGs, but "void damage" is pretty normal in my mind. ;) As is "negative energy" for that matter, though that one is kinda long.
Thanks for the backup Airk. :wink:

I've played quite a few RPGs in my day, and I've studied physics, so that probably explains my push for such an energy type. :wink:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: How's it coming? :wink:
Not yet, studies getting in the day. Please wait until monday were i should have free time, or come forced to make some of my own. By then, i should have had some reckless unit facings to see how it works.
It's been several mondays, got any data yet?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

As proposed by a friend, how about "Unnatural" damage?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Darth Fool wrote:As proposed by a friend, how about "Unnatural" damage?
Like damage taken from technological weapons?

Whatever it means, it's really, really unclear.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Rune

Post by Rune »

I think that Light Energy and Dark/Shadow Energy is the best proposal so far. Alternatively we could use Lawful and Chaotic as energy types.

Fire and Cold are okay as they are IMHO.

Another option is to use the five classical elements (fire, earth, wind, water, aether) but I'm not sure if that many types are wanted.
toms

Post by toms »

Better we update the WML for posiblities to have millions of custom damage types. :twisted:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!