Music should be Stereo

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aleksi
Music Contributor

Music should be Stereo

Post by Aleksi »

Hello,

I recently discovered that Wesnoth is using mono music... is it due to save space? Hum... mono was fine... Thirty years ago! Mono effect makes it very distant and quite compressed. Any way to go towards stereo?

Cheers,

Aleksi.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Music should be Stereo

Post by Eleazar »

Aleksi wrote:I recently discovered that Wesnoth is using mono music... i
I'm not against having things stereo, but if it's really so bad, why did it take you so long to notice that Wesnoth is Mono?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Ha ha, i must admit i haven't played Wesnoth in ages... But when i used to play i didn't really notice it was mono. I don't know why... :oops:

:D

Aleksi.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Aleksi wrote:Ha ha, i must admit i haven't played Wesnoth in ages... But when i used to play i didn't really notice it was mono. I don't know why... :oops:

:D

Aleksi.
You were of course playnig it so hard you didn't notice anything except that one unit you just lost because the enemy had good luck. ;)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

The thing is that i usually test my music with the game, and i cut the in-game music and have mine in the background played by Cubase. Thats also why i never really noticed the mono settings.

Aleksi.
Skizac

Post by Skizac »

As one of my first projects as a Wesnoth developer, I'm going to code support for stereo music. ...as soon as I figure out how. :wink:
Novatlan

Post by Novatlan »

That would be great!
Skizac

Post by Skizac »

Could somebody make me a .ogg that has a sound panned hard to the left, hard to the right, and centered? I need something like that for testing.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Skizac wrote:Could somebody make me a .ogg that has a sound panned hard to the left, hard to the right, and centered? I need something like that for testing.
I will as soon as i finish what i'm doing. (trying to recover lost data... argh!)