Cleaning up images/units/

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Cleaning up images/units/

Post by Eleazar »

In the process of moving images into subfolder, i've come across some anomalies, and uncertainties.

A word about how we're doing this. We're placing units images in subfolder because the all units in one folder was for some nearly unbrowseable. We're not dividing them into MP faction folders, because faction membership can change. We're making racial, and sometimes sub-racial folders. Hopefully it will be obvious which folder any given unit is in.

:arrow: We have a "Sea-Hag" unit images these can be deleted, yes?
:arrow: There is "wesnoth-icon.png" in here. Surely that should go somewhere else?
:arrow: "undead-blackspell" is in the units folder. Don't know what it's used for, but it doesn't look like a unit.
:arrow: I'd like to put the goblins in with the orcs, since we're considering them to be branches of the same race. Any objections?
:arrow: Bat have the undead race. I understand they (currently) work for the undead faction but shouldn't their race be "monster"?
:arrow: I'm not sure if the gryphons belong with monsters, humans, dwarves, or their own folder.
:arrow: I think it's most intuitive (when not thinking by faction) for the living adepts to be in the "human-magi" folder. OK.

It seems unneccesary for the image files to be named "elvish-archer" when they are in the "elves-wood" folder, but i don't have the SVN powers to do anything about that.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Cleaning up images/units/

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Eleazar wrote::arrow: Bat have the undead race. I understand they (currently) work for the undead faction but shouldn't their race be "monster"?
Well, they are Vampire Bats, and in Wesnoth, AFAICT, that means they're actually undead. For some reason.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

:arrow: wesnoth-icon.png is supposed to be used by the Gnome / KDE installation, as a desktop icon.
:arrow: About the bats we can say they are in fact vampires in their vampire bat form, so i guess it is more appropriate to put them in the 'undead' race, and their holy resistances match this. A 'Giant Bat' unit would be different and would logically put in the 'monster' race
:arrow: for the gryphons riders the race only changes the names they can get... I don't really know in which folder they shall be put, so guess a gryphons/ folder would be OK
:arrow: For the adept line i don't find useful to separate the Lich from the other units ...
Since they aren't usually used outside an undead faction putting them un the undead directory makes senses.
Since they are mages putting them in the magi/ directory makes sense too.
I personnally prefer the undead/ directory for them
:arrow: about "undead-blackspell", after a little investigation (grep -r), it doesn't seems to be used anywhere.
Last edited by Noyga on January 8th, 2006, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Perhaps these are your personal explanations you've created to make the bat's classification as undead make sense? The unit descriptions don't mention anything that would imply they are undead, or the bat form of vampires. if they are vampires why don't they every transform into humans, but stay as wimpy scout units?

One of the axioms i've heard around here is something like: never use a magical explanation when a mundane one works just as well.

IMHO it's simpler and more obvious to call them "monsters", but any ballancing concerns would take priority.

I'm not sure where the wesnoth icon should go there are a couple of "icon" folders that don't seem to have anything to do with this.

EDIT: my appology. i didn't read the right part of the description. It does mentions undeadness.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote::arrow: We have a "Sea-Hag" unit images these can be deleted, yes?
Yep.
Eleazar wrote::arrow: There is "wesnoth-icon.png" in here. Surely that should go somewhere else?
Yeah... need to look at it first before I give a verdict.
Eleazar wrote::arrow: "undead-blackspell" is in the units folder. Don't know what it's used for, but it doesn't look like a unit.
The undead blackspell IS a unit (meant to represent something like the wisps in Warcraft III), and it is a campaign-specific unit, for TDH. It should go with that campaign.
Eleazar wrote::arrow: I'd like to put the goblins in with the orcs, since we're considering them to be branches of the same race. Any objections?
Good. Do it.
Eleazar wrote::arrow: Bat have the undead race. I understand they (currently) work for the undead faction but shouldn't their race be "monster"?
Yes, monster, mostly because I'd rather our bats were not undead.
Eleazar wrote::arrow: I'm not sure if the gryphons belong with monsters, humans, dwarves, or their own folder.
Monsters.
Eleazar wrote:It seems unneccesary for the image files to be named "elvish-archer" when they are in the "elves-wood" folder, but i don't have the SVN powers to do anything about that.
That can wait. No objections whatsoever to having that changed, but for now, that can wait.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

While moving a few undead units, i found an unused image, related to the soulless unit : "undead-soulless-melee.png" what shall we do with it ?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Jetryl wrote:
Eleazar wrote::arrow: We have a "Sea-Hag" unit images these can be Yeah... need to look at it first before I give a verdict.
In the toplevel icons/ directory (not in images/) ?