Mermen and Naga names

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LarsNæsbye

Post by LarsNæsbye »

Jetryl wrote:That said, thanks to everyone for taking initiative - it has a wonderful tendency to make things happen. :)
Well, that was the main point, getting the discussion started - I dislike quite a few of them myself. ;)

I guess when making plausible names, you take into account the types of units (which in BfW are all about war), the races' social hierarchy, the sound of their spoken language and their alignment?

The best thing to do is of course to create a history of the race, make a unique Merman/Mermaid language (which evolves over time) and then you have a good base for names. But given the time it took Tolkien to make Quenya, Sindarin and the rest of the MiddleEarth languages, we might opt for an 'adjusted mythological pillaging' method for starters :-P
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Noyga wrote:A lot of mermen names sound polynesian, so i think more mermaid names that sound polynesian would be welcomed (currently there is 'Vatea', and ... that's all)
i think it's more important that the names *sound* like they belong to the same language (like the current polynesian-esque theme) rather than have actual mythological precedents. i can recognise the current names as belonging to the same groups without knowing any mythology, (or necessitating the translation of unit names.)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity