Minor annoyance with Trait listings

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Minor annoyance with Trait listings

Post by Eleazar »

If you've played for a while i'm sure you have favorite combinations of traits for particular units.

When looking throught the recall list, my search for the perfect unit is slightly hindered by the fact that a unit with identical traits can be listed 2 different ways, "Quick, Strong" or "Strong, Quick".

It would be easier to skim through these lists if traits were always listed alphabetically or in some fixed order. If for instance "Strong" was always listed before "Quick".

It's not a huge deal, but it's probably not that hard to improve.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
JW

Post by JW »

Actually, the order can affect hp:

A Quick Strong unit with 38 hp will have 37 after the effects take place:
(38 * 0.9) + 2 = 35 + 2 = 37

A Strong, Quick unit with 38 hp will have 36 hp after the effects take place:
(38 + 2) * 0.9 = 40 * 0.9 = 36

I've meant to bring this up for a while, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

-edit-

the same thing can happen with Resiliant instead of Strong.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Personally, I think we should move to quick,strong = strong,quick. in other words, the percentage boni/bogi are applied to the original value, not the adjusted value. This way, we could have the trait listing sorted.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

I don't mind either way. But there is an advantage to 'strong, quick' != 'quick, strong'. The advantage is that it preserves variety and, as in real life, shows that someone who is quick first and then strong, is different from someone who is strong first and then quick.

It may only be a minor difference, but if there is one, it makes sense to allow separate sorting for some traits.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

dFool wrote:Personally, I think we should move to quick,strong = strong,quick. in other words, the percentage boni/bogi are applied to the original value, not the adjusted value. This way, we could have the trait listing sorted.
When i started this thread i hadn't realized that the order made any difference to the results.
If the ordering of traits made a noticable difference most of the time, i think i'd be for keeping things as is.
But since the difference is very minor, (or non-existent for most trait combinations) i believe the gameplay value it adds is not worth the complexity it costs. I think DFool's suggesting is the KISSest way to go. It will probably make the ballancing of additional traits easier.

But still, it's not a huge deal one way or another. I just like the idea that Wesnoth 2.0 could be slightly more KISS than 1.0, besides being prettier.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I like current way of how trait system works... even if diffrence between resilient, quick and quick, resilient isn't big, it still adds some variety to the game (sometimes this 1hp decides about unit surviving :-) ).
And I had no problem with it from balancing point of view so far :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit