Feature Request: Allied Movement on the same turn?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inuyasha

Feature Request: Allied Movement on the same turn?

Post by Inuyasha »

Seeing other people move my units during sync errors made me wonder would it be possible for each team to move all units simulaneously during their turn? That way there'd only be one turn for each team, and things would progress much faster in multiplayer. Also you get around the major problem of your ally's units blocking yours, say when you want to attack from a given hex or garrison his village with one of yours instead. Coordinated attacks would be a lot easier and a lot of time could be saved. Hope this is possible. Perhaps as an optional feature on maps that could be checked.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

What about first team advantage in 2v2/3v3 even 4v4 games? (this is biggest problem which is against game balance)
What about problem when 2 players from one team want to move to the same place and they do this at a same time? What about attacking one unit at a same time?
How would screen behave then? Now it moves along with moving unit - what if 2 or 3 would move at a same time?

I think it would just complicate game and it is unneeded.

Also tem-attack are easy in MP now - just you have to talk with allies (teamwork).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Inuyasha

Post by Inuyasha »

Dragonking wrote: Also tem-attack are easy in MP now - just you have to talk with allies (teamwork).
There are common scenarios where it's not a matter of teamwork. On a hotly contested frontline, say on Olof's Liliputh, you want to swap you fully healed fighter with your ally's half dead spearman to garrison a crucial village. Given a typical 1212 turn order, if your teammate pulls out, your opponent would be able to grab the center village before you.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Inuyasha wrote:
Dragonking wrote: Also tem-attack are easy in MP now - just you have to talk with allies (teamwork).
There are common scenarios where it's not a matter of teamwork. On a hotly contested frontline, say on Olof's Liliputh, you want to swap you fully healed fighter with your ally's half dead spearman to garrison a crucial village. Given a typical 1212 turn order, if your teammate pulls out, your opponent would be able to grab the center village before you.
This is something that can happen on both sides. Moving simultaneously would 'fix' that (I doubt there is really need to do wnytinh about it), but destroy completly teams balance - like I said - what to do with 1st team advantage - when 2 or 3 players move at same time and can wipe out whole army?
2v2 is often balanced that tem order is 1 2 2 1 - so if first player will use his starting position advantage, he will have to play 1v2 game till his ally will help him. On 3v3 hexcake red player has advantage over orange player, but also blue has advantage over purple (and I know that green has advantage with taking center faster then yellow - I just doubt that is is 'game deciding' advantage).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Inuyasha

Post by Inuyasha »

Dragonking wrote:
This is something that can happen on both sides. Moving simultaneously would 'fix' that (I doubt there is really need to do wnytinh about it), but destroy completly teams balance - like I said - what to do with 1st team advantage - when 2 or 3 players move at same time and can wipe out whole army?
How is this different than first turn advantage on a 1v1 map? Basically this would turn a 2v2 match, say Clash into a larger 1v1 battle. Simultaneous allied movement wouldn't be any less balanced than a 1221 turn order. And besides, the defending team would get the equal advantage of being able to withdraw it's injured units and attack with fresh ones on the same turn without getting in each other's way. Currently, mixing fronts hampers your ability to coordinate because of how the turn system works, so effective multiplayer strategy on a 2v2 usually means you will fight two seperate fronts side by side with your teammate and only mix units when there is no other option.

And as I said before, it could be selectable option for players that feel it improves the game. I've talked with other players during games who feel that this would be useful. And also consider how it could speed games because teams would only have to plan against 1 set of moves from the opposing team and not two each turn. When you have to keep track of which player can retaliate against you next turn, and which players have already moved or can be blocked by your ally, you can to spend considerably more time to evaluate all your choices. Having an option that could speed up the game could make multiplayer Wesnoth much more enjoyable.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I said my opinion about it already. Also OAB (especially if they change gameplay drastically).
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Feature Request: Allied Movement on the same turn?

Post by Eleazar »

Inuyasha wrote:Seeing other people move my units during sync errors made me wonder would it be possible for each team to move all units simulaneously during their turn? That way there'd only be one turn for each team, and things would progress much faster in multiplayer. Also you get around the major problem of your ally's units blocking yours, say when you want to attack from a given hex or garrison his village with one of yours instead. Coordinated attacks would be a lot easier and a lot of time could be saved. Hope this is possible. Perhaps as an optional feature on maps that could be checked.
I think the more fundimental answer is: Wesnoth is a "TBS" (Turn Based Stratagy) not "RTS" (Real Time Strategy) game. Granted what you are proposing is only half-way RTS. But it would require lots of additional code. If it was implemented the only practical (code-wise) way it could be done would be that only one unit could move/attack at a time. This might aid coordination, but wouldn't speed things up.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

This has been wanted for lots of time, but the problems that it involves (some of them raised in previous posts) have prevented us from implementing it. If somebody interested could implement it (solving all the issues), it would be really great.

Best regards