Starting time

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should games start at random daytime ?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 21

malicor

Starting time

Post by malicor »

Hi,

I would like to have a random starting time each game.

Right now fractions with daylight seem to be slightly better ?

regards, Malicor
JW

Post by JW »

That actually does bug me a little.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

*Shrug*. This is one of those things that would be bad for campaign scenarios, but good for MP games.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Disto

Post by Disto »

I think it would be good for it to be set by the hoster, that way no problems for scenario designers, but it could be used by a cunning player in their favour.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

For campaigns, can't you just rorder the time-of-day macros so another one is first?
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

ILikeProgramming wrote:For campaigns, can't you just rorder the time-of-day macros so another one is first?
turin wrote:*Shrug*. This is one of those things that would be bad for campaign scenarios, but good for MP games.
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Disto

Post by Disto »

ILikeProgramming wrote:For campaigns, can't you just rorder the time-of-day macros so another one is first?
You can make 24 turn days if you want.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
JW

Post by JW »

Disto wrote: You can make 24 turn days if you want.
That would be awesome!! On a huge map think how cool that would be in an epic campaign!!

Now THAT'S an idea I'd like to use in my own creations!
toms

Post by toms »

I thonk you should can choose that in random in a scenario WML.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yes, but having a random starting time-of-day would make that not work. That was my point. :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I think it should be configurable in the scenario.
For MP games it would be mostly random and for campaigns mostly fixed i think (exept if the campaign maker wants random too)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

JW wrote:
Disto wrote: You can make 24 turn days if you want.
That would be awesome!! On a huge map think how cool that would be in an epic campaign!!

Now THAT'S an idea I'd like to use in my own creations!
Try this:

Code: Select all

{DAWN}
{DAWN}
{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{MORNING}
{MORNING}
{AFTERNOON}
{AFTERNOON}
{AFTERNOON}
{DUSK}
{DUSK}
{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
Instead of this:

Code: Select all

{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{AFTERNOON}
{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
P.S.: This is not tested, but should work.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

[time] tags are read in sequence, and you can duplicate them, add different times of day, reorder them etc, to create different effects: see Under the Burning Suns for totally different times of day, or To the Harbour of Tirigaz from Son of the Black Eye for a scenario that takes place during a single night (but has 24 turns).

I've added a feature request at https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?func=det ... em_id=4799 about this.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
scott

Post by scott »

You would have to make some changes to WML to make it work. Time of day as it is presented to the player is something of an illusion. The game has no internal knowledge of time of day, nor is it aware of any typical time of day sequence.

The same system that makes time of day so flexible and easy to implement also makes it hard to do something like this. You need to change basic WML since time of day exists only in WML tags.

To allow random time of day start time and preserve the current system of defining times of day, you would need to either define time of day in a prestart event or allow [if] and [random] to exist under [scenario]. They were added to [story] to fulfill a need there, so I'm guessing it's not impossible.

Another way to go is to allow direct access to the internal time of day list (assuming one is created) by allowing the list to be rotated by a literal or random amount. In that case, the game becomes aware of the time of day. This could also allow you to use the time of day in a variable, which could be nice.

I don't know what kind of coding task it would be, so maybe I should stop talking out my rear. You could also use my start time randomizer. It works 100% for castles where the leader is surrounded, and it requires a small tweak for castles where the leader is free to roam around. (and it probably won't work on small maps where the leaders can fight within the first 6 turns)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.