take the music of a races off!

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I think it's unfair if you ever can't tell the opponent's faction; the music is a balancing tool that lets the host of the game know the opponent's factions, to make up for the host not knowing the factions while the other players do.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I think it's unfair if you ever can't tell the opponent's faction; the music is a balancing tool that lets the host of the game know the opponent's factions, to make up for the host not knowing the factions while the other players do.
But not everybody wants to listen to that music... Opponent listen to music and knows my faction. I don't listen to it, so I have to go and find out, right?

I would prefer the way that both have actually scout for opponent's faction, but if that's not what it's supposed to be, then I suggest that you don't have to know every faction's theme by heart. (This is the way I understood the matter and by the way it doesn't seem very KISS to me) Maybe it would be better then if you could see your opponent's faction in Status Table for example.

It should be same for both/every sides. Even if one didn't want to listen themes and the other did!
Elvish_Pillager

Then don't host games. :|
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

deserter wrote:It should be same for both/every sides. Even if one didn't want to listen themes and the other did!
I agree. Either we want to reveal the information or we don't. If we do, then it can be completely public like in the status table.

Random is meant to not know in advance what the other factions will be like. It also changes your gameplay a little. If i play orcs, i wouldn't recruit assasins unless i am sure not to play against undead. If music gives a secret hint to that, it should be altered. Otherwise we don't need a random feature.

I like the idea of having the music change from a general theme to a race specific when you sight your opponent. One reason for that is that you notice a side-turn-end by just listening to the music. It's an additional help if you don't want to look at that little flag all the time.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Elvish_Pillager

Yogi Bear wrote:Random is meant to not know in advance what the other factions will be like.
Why is it that all players except one in a multiplayer game are told what all the factions will be, then?
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I think it's unfair if you ever can't tell the opponent's faction; the music is a balancing tool that lets the host of the game know the opponent's factions, to make up for the host not knowing the factions while the other players do.
I think you refer to old problem - that players who join to game can see which factions were chosen by RNG for aabout 1-2 seconds before games starts. This problem doesn't exist anymore.
So now only people with music know what faction did enemy got.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

i dont think its that bigger issue if people know what faction you are using becuase, you know what faction they are using. But people will always find something to complain about.

The best solution to this so called problem would be playing there music only once you have spotted them as someone who i am currently to lazy to quote said.
Elvish_Pillager

Dragonking wrote:I think you refer to old problem - that players who join to game can see which factions were chosen by RNG for aabout 1-2 seconds before games starts. This problem doesn't exist anymore.
So now only people with music know what faction did enemy got.
But that wasn't a problem!

Oh well, I don't play games like this anyway, so I don't suppose I need to get involved.
anyeos

Music anti fog :P

Post by anyeos »

I just was thinking about that.
Really, the music can stay in the last faction sighted and when you see a unit the music can change. But, the actual source code need some lot of modification to do that possible. It is more easy to do random music, not faction specific. Maybe fight specific?? Maybe map specific music, as all games. And the music can change when a fight is estimated. Or you just only listen your faction music. Because if you select a faction maybe too for listen the music :D.
A more interesting suggestion is to do the music faction and map specific. How?? Simply, the map can have a faction music list. And you only hear always your faction music. The music system maybe improved later adding some action music. Then, we will have faction music and faction action music. The action can be detected when your units are in the enemy way or just when you fight and this can stay playing some time and later return to the standard music.

Bye
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

You have to ask yourself: what would Howard Shore do? There would probably be "unknown enemy" music.

It's never bothered me before, but then again I don't take these things so seriously.
anyeos

Yes but

Post by anyeos »

Yes, but I don't like to ear a repetitive bored music in all maps. And if you play a campaing this can have specific music, so, the map can choose a music.
I will do the code if the people want. I'm not interested for now, I have some other works to do first.

I will compose music too if the people want... but I already have work now.

Bye
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

this is being worked on...

right now, on my home tree, you have anonymous music when you use shroud (or fog) and it's an ennemy's turn

I'll try to keep tracks of seen ennemies, but it's rather complicated. so probably not right now...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think we should try to make it non-public until you see their leader. If someone would write the code to do it, that'd be appreciated.

Giving an advantage to people who play random would be nice...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Agreed with Dave and DK. I've stopped listening to the game music and generally have something else playing at the same time.. I'd just like to know that all the players are on a level playing field.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Noy wrote:Agreed with Dave and DK. I've stopped listening to the game music and generally have something else playing at the same time.. I'd just like to know that all the players are on a level playing field.
I agree too. (finally people who to agree with on this)
And lets disagree with EP. :P