take the music of a races off!

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

STNA NarSissi

take the music of a races off!

Post by STNA NarSissi »

its so stuopid that you know what race your opponent is useing just by music. So you dont get any advantage by playing random (knowing how to play them all)... if opponent choses some race and any way its stupid that you can buy counter units at the start even if both have random... I haven t been usin sounds at all and now i m pissed about this... I think i might stop playing wesnoth completely...
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I dont think much people hear what race enemy have, anyway you can hear in his turn too, so you know what enemy is in your 2nd turn.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Good, because then you can go learn to spell and type.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

You never get any advantage of surprise when playing random, except when you're player 2 and the host is player 1 in a 1vs1. And I think I agree with Disto... :(
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

If you don't like that, just turn music off.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Tux2B wrote:If you don't like that, just turn music off.
I'm surprised as how the problems of life can be resolved so simply..

Damn. Seriously, i wasn't expecting the quoted post.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Damn. Seriously, i wasn't expecting the quoted post.
Heh, I was. ;)
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Nevertheless, it is a good point. There should be a "random" theme for players who choose random factions.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

lol. I like the idea.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I'll stop being evil now....
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

We would need new music theme and some changes in code i think.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I agree with idea. Maybe just random music for first 2 turns? Or main menu music?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Dragonking wrote:I agree with idea. Maybe just random music for first 2 turns? Or main menu music?
If you're playing fog of war and you can't see a player's leader, the map doesn't move at all when the turn changes. However, if you can see the leader of a player then you center on that leader when it becomes his turn.

Maybe do something similar with music? If you can't see a player's leader the music continues to play whatever its playing (either your music, an ally's, another enemy's, etc.). If you can see a player's leader then the music changes to that faction's theme.

In all likelihood this would have the music changing far less often than it needs to, so it's probably not ideal. I'm just trying to think of something that fits into the current framework somehow. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Play the music of the player's faction all the time, until the enemy faction is spotted, at which point start playing the said enemy faction's music during it's turn.

I very much dislike the fact that you can already know during the first turn what faction you're up against.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Narsissi's spelling and typos have been discussed, search for his previous posts. Oh I have an idea, we could have a thread for that! ;)

He might still have a point though he didn't know how to type properly, ok?

I have turned music off (as I always do) so i haven't noticed the issue. I like I don't know what faction I'm playing against, but I don't think it's fair if my opponent did know my faction... I would enjoy it far more if themes were random or something, so I couldn't possibly know what faction I'm opposing.

Maybe just random music for first 2 turns?
This doesn't change anything...