Quick Trait.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Quick Trait.

Post by Tomsik »

I think this trait should be changed, its agnist KISS and... sometimes you dont want to get it! Some units with quick are very easy to kill(unless get resilient trait too) for example mages, tribalists, asssasins.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I hope you are not serious.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Ankka wrote:I hope you are not serious.
Yes..
Quick mage can be horror... just need only little more protection... also units have -10% to hp, but can run away from danger if needed.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

also units have -10% to hp
Technicaly seen the disadvantage would be more unwanted on units with alot of hp; a 20 hp guy loses 2; a 100 hp one loses 10; big difference.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

*hides under table* :oops:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Traits are not meant to be 'perfectly balanced' and always bestow the same amount of advantage. They are meant to make units more interesting, by giving each unit a random amount of personality.

Sometimes you will get a trait for a unit that you don't happen to like. Learning how to use units with different traits is all part of the game.

To many people, quick is the most powerful and desirable trait around...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

1) I think that the benefits of quick outwiegh the -10% health for most units. If a mage can get "strong", then an already fast or weak unit should be able to get "quick".

2) I think that for a number of units quick can be the best trait ever.

3) I think that Tomsik should stop hiding under the table. :) Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean that we don't respect you and your thoughts.
Jose Luis

Post by Jose Luis »

Beleth wrote:1) I think that the benefits of quick outwiegh the -10% health for most units. If a mage can get "strong", then an already fast or weak unit should be able to get "quick".

2) I think that for a number of units quick can be the best trait ever.

3) I think that Tomsik should stop hiding under the table. :) Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean that we don't respect you and your thoughts.
I also think quick is one of the best traits. In campaigns many times I choosed unit with "quick" because in caves it can be the difference between moving 2 hex or 3 hex (mostly for mages)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

It is the difference between your Infantryman lagging behind or keeping up with the bulk of your army.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:It is the difference between your Infantryman lagging behind or keeping up with the bulk of your army.
It's also the difference for getting 2 shallow water/swamp/mountains and 3 forest/hill/cave/sand moves for many units.
sparr

Post by sparr »

Beleth wrote:It's also the difference for getting 2 shallow water/swamp/mountains and 3 forest/hill/cave/sand moves for many units.
I think this is the key detail of the Quick trait. I was recently replaying Undead Crossing a number of times with a mage-heavy force, trying for a no-loss win, and I found that I always got farther if my mages were Quick because then they could move 3 sand or 2 water hexes per turn, as opposed to 2/1. This is an increase of up to 100%, with many cases 50%+, opposed to an Elvish Outrider, who gets up to +50% and usually just +20%.