Unique monsters and a scenario idea

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Circon

Unique monsters and a scenario idea

Post by Circon »

We need an ideas forum.

Here's an idea: Unique monsters. More powerful even than leaders. May move randomly, generally very powerful, might want to make them lvl 5 for the exp. They get placed with a [unit] tag and then go around doing stuff.

Example: The Young Dragon
Lvl 5
hp 68
melee attack: Claw, 12-4 (pierce)
melee attack: Bite, 18-2 (blade)
ranged attack: Firebreath, 16-3 (fire)

It's very deadly, for anybody and anything, but the unit that takes it down is almost sure to get promoted... atleast if its level 1.
I think this is a good idea, and might add variety to certain levels.

Also: Instead of being a hostile that comes and attacks you (and the enemy?), make it something you have to catch.

Local Noble: "A monster is rampaging my lands and killing our people! Our knights have wounded it, but please, catch it before it returns to its den, or else it will all have been for naught!"
Konrad: "Let's kill that monster!"
Scenario: *10* turns, monster starts 6 squares away from you, is trying to move to the cave that is its den.
If you kill the monster, the noble rewards you. If it escapes, you can choose to follow it into its den or leave it. (although if we want to be evil, the decision to leave it might come back and bite you in the a-- later in the campaign.)

Sound like a good idea?
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

Absolutely! Excellent plan...
Fate is like an unpopular restaurant in which odd waiters come and give you things you didn't ask for and don't always like.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

There are already a graphic for dragon and a scenario like that is planned!!
telex4

Post by telex4 »

There is also that sea monster that appears in the Dwarven Doors (?) level, if you capture the village next to the water. I like the idea of specifically having to kill a monster as a scenario goal though.

Maybe at some points in the game bonus levels could be offered as an option, in which you'd need some top-level units to win and so you may well lose some, but you earn a sack full of gold for them. They don't change the storyline at all, they're just optional levels you can do that will return you to where you left off.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Unique monsters sound good: be even better if you had a chance for them to join your side for a while, maybe for a bribe or a good deed, i.e. "Recapture my mountain hideaway and I will help you destroy the orc leader" sort of thing.
Circon

Heh, sounds popular!

Post by Circon »

I'd heard about the dragon graphic; I didn't know such a level was already planned. Sorry.

The sea monster in Dwarven Doors doesn't really count IMHO, it's a normal monster, which you get 3 of earlier, and its level 2. :roll:

Viva Unique Monsters! :!:
telex4

Re: Heh, sounds popular!

Post by telex4 »

Circon wrote:The sea monster in Dwarven Doors doesn't really count IMHO, it's a normal monster, which you get 3 of earlier, and its level 2.
True. Maybe it should be enormous (i.e. cover more than one hex) :)
miyo

Post by miyo »

covering more than one hex would make it really huge, it would be bigger than village... two hexes would be equal in lenght with ~1 hour march.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:covering more than one hex would make it really huge, it would be bigger than village... two hexes would be equal in lenght with ~1 hour march.
Not to mention difficult to implement ;)

Unique monsters are a good idea, and are in the game already to a certain degree.

There's also a giant cave spider in the game, although I doubt most players have found it yet ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
methinks

Post by methinks »

Now, you hvae killed me. I must find it then :)
-Adam