% on random traits

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Monkey

% on random traits

Post by Monkey »

Is it possible to set % on traits?
for example, an Elvish fighter
Loyal - 10%
Quick - 30%
Intelligent - 20%
Resilient - 10%
Strong - 30%

Elvish archer
Loyal - 10%
Quick - 40%
Intelligent - 20%
Resilient - 10%
Strong - 20%

Dwarvish figher
Loyal - 10%
Quick - 10%
Intelligent - 20%
Resilient - 30%
Strong - 30%

Spearman
Loyal - 30%
Quick - 20%
Intelligent - 10%
Resilient - 20%
Strong - 20%

And so forth.
If this is possible it would be great to add in the game. Traits would be more common depending on the race.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, first off, Loyal is not a trait anymore. And Elves have Dextrous.

As for this specific proposal... I would say no. Traits are said to be random, and that, to me at least, implies an equal chance to get each. So, if this was implemented without my knowing it, I would report it as a bug that my elvish archers consistently got resilient a lot less often than average. And I would continue to find it odd even if it was explained in the manual.

And besides... KISS. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Allrighty, so it's not possible in the main game, but does anyone know how to do it so I can add it to my campaign?

now, can some moderator move this to coder's corner please?

edit: and I won't kiss anything
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Coder's corner is for code, not for WML. Scenario & campaign development would be more appropriate, if it had to be moved.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Come to think of it, a way to set probabilities (in general) would be useful for Wesnoth. We're increasingly adding fresh concepts to WML which can be randomised (gender, multiple animations, etc), and being able to specify the chances for each one would be nice.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

You DO know that dwarves also have females don't you? The chance of you get one when you recruit a dwarvish fighter is 50%. But since they have beards it's hard to reckognize... =)
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Female dwarves do NOT have beards! This is a myth invented by elves to discredit dwarves! :P
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ayin wrote:Female dwarves do NOT have beards! This is a myth invented by elves to discredit dwarves! :P
Aye.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

They did on D&D, but that changed on the 3rd edition.
elanthis

Post by elanthis »

D&D games can still have dwarf females with beards. Just like not all D&D games have to use the sample pantheon in the core rulebooks. It's up to the Wesnoth developers whether or not dwarvish women have beards in Wesnoth or not.

(Personally, I'm a fan of Norse mythology, where Tolkien drew most of his inspiration from, and from which much of today's popular fantasy is drawn from. In Norse mythology, the dwarves were basically dark elves - corrupt and twisted forms of the more graceful elves. Of course the actual words 'elf' and 'dwarf' weren't used by those people, but it's where Tolkien got his versions of elf and dwarf from. Dwarves as dark elves is certainly a lot cooler than the current popular underground dark elves - wouldn't they be albino if they lived underground instead of ebony, at least? The entire concept of the popular version of a dark elf - that all elves with black skin are unredeemingly evil and corrupt - is so racist it's sick, albeit certain fantasy authors have managed to spin that into a quite positive anti-racism message.)
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I think you are mistaken in this one,
The dark elfs are what turned out to be called orcs. Elf name was used for all fantasy creatures like faeries, gnomes, and these kind of things. While orcs were used for everything meanie, like goblins, trolls, etc. And yes, orcs were elves, "dark elves", but they didn't had dark skin, they had green skin.

Dwarves were the kin that was born from the worms that were eating a dead giant body, and turned out to be great inventors, miners, blacksmiths. And they liked to live in mountains and caves.

What happened is that D&D created this other kind of "dark elves", that had dark skin, and lived underground (their weapons even turn to dust if they see sunlight). Maybe that's the reason you misplaced them with dwarves.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| Every encounter I have with it solidifies my conviction that dungeons and dragons is [censored]. So they came up with a role playing system. Big f*cking deal. Anyone who hasn't been lobotomized can do that.

OT.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jetryl wrote::| Every encounter I have with it solidifies my conviction that dungeons and dragons is [censored]. So they came up with a role playing system. Big f*cking deal. Anyone who hasn't been lobotomized can do that.

OT.
I played D&D when I was about 7. By the time I turned 12, I'd moved on to vastly superior role-playing systems (read: White Wolf). So, I have to disagree: D&D isn't [censored], it's merely immature.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

when I was young I used to play "lobisomem" wich is "werewolf" in portuguese. I don't know if the english version is the same name. Werewolf, The Apocalipse.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Sangel wrote:
Jetryl wrote::| Every encounter I have with it solidifies my conviction that dungeons and dragons is [censored]. So they came up with a role playing system. Big f*cking deal. Anyone who hasn't been lobotomized can do that.

OT.
I played D&D when I was about 7. By the time I turned 12, I'd moved on to vastly superior role-playing systems (read: White Wolf). So, I have to disagree: D&D isn't [censored], it's merely immature.
Personally I moved onto GURPS which I findly vastly superior (especially in regards to character development, something which I hold dear). I don't consider D&D bad, quite the contrary (I've enjoyed many a D&D session), but it's a beginner's PnP RP system.

If you guys want to see a genuinely bad role-playing system, then take a look at the Official Dragonball Z Role-playing System. The RP system actually manages to be worse than the show (for example it's not uncommon for people to be rolling upwards of 40 dice at a time in this system). I was forced to play it once (and I assure you that I will scream bloody murder if I have to play it again), and it was phenomenally worse than even the most horrible D&D expansion book.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry