Thoughts

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Julian Morrison

Thoughts

Post by Julian Morrison »

Just started playing the game, congrats it's excellent.

I was playing v0.3.4, upgraded to 0.4 - and suddenly the first scenario got vastly easier. Pity, it was interesting to try to crack it with defensive tactics. Hold the fork in the trail, hang back recruiting as long as posible, shortcut via the little blob of open ground, bait the wolf riders away with wounded men, etc etc. I got close a few times on 0.3.4, never actually made it. A little easier would be nice, but this much easier? The new version, the allied AI units just swarm the bad guys under, and the bad guy AI isn't bright enough to attack Konrad and ignore the allies.

Don't know if it's as necessary in this version because of being easier, but a couple things that hassled me:
- no "give up and quit back to the initial menu" option.
- no "skip intro" (and no "go back and reread that, it was too fast for me to read" either).
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Thoughts

Post by Dave »

Hi Julian,

Glad you like the game!
Julian Morrison wrote: I was playing v0.3.4, upgraded to 0.4 - and suddenly the first scenario got vastly easier. Pity, it was interesting to try to crack it with defensive tactics. Hold the fork in the trail, hang back recruiting as long as posible, shortcut via the little blob of open ground, bait the wolf riders away with wounded men, etc etc. I got close a few times on 0.3.4, never actually made it. A little easier would be nice, but this much easier?
Well, it is a first level after all! I'd venture that it's still more difficult than the first levels in alot of games.

However, I am planning on implementing difficulty levels in the next version, and on 'hard', the first scenario will get teeth again :-)

But in the current version, I am told that people still think that Scenario 3 is very hard, so it's not like there's no more challenges. Oh and then there's Scenario 7...
Julian Morrison wrote: The new version, the allied AI units just swarm the bad guys under, and the bad guy AI isn't bright enough to attack Konrad and ignore the allies.
It's actually not a question of being 'bright' enough, it'd be easy to make the AI go straight for Konrad, but think about the scenario. The bad guys are just trying to attack the Elves and take over the forest. They don't know that Konrad and Delfador happen to live in this part of the forest, so their main aim is to kill all the Elves. They don't care that much if a couple flee from the battle.
Julian Morrison wrote: - no "give up and quit back to the initial menu" option.
Yeah, I may make it that if you press escape it'll go back to the main menu.
Julian Morrison wrote: - no "skip intro" (and no "go back and reread that, it was too fast for me to read" either).
In the current version, if you press escape it will skip the introduction sequence. The introduction sequence also doesn't automatically scroll forward anymore, it waits for you to press enter or click the mouse.

Cheers,

David
Julian Morrison

Re: Thoughts

Dave wrote:Hi Julian,
Well, it is a first level after all! I'd venture that it's still more difficult than the first levels in alot of games.
Well actually I liked it being superhard. You see it makes scenario sense: the good guy is the underdog. Kicking the bad guys asses is implausible; he'd be lucky to escape with his own. Suppose this were a fantasy novel. Typically, the first few battles, the good guy either cowers and hides, or has his derriere handed to him, or runs like crazy while his allies die to cover his retreat. Small scale, simple objectives, high difficulty, with a focus on defense and escape. Then for later battles the absolute difficulty goes down (he's tougher and has more and better troops), but the scale and tactical complexity goes way up, as the battles become a campaign of offense against a well-coordinated and entrenched enemy.

That was why I liked it the older version, anyhow.
Dave wrote:However, I am planning on implementing difficulty levels in the next version, and on 'hard', the first scenario will get teeth again :-)

But in the current version, I am told that people still think that Scenario 3 is very hard, so it's not like there's no more challenges. Oh and then there's Scenario 7...
Haven't got that far yet :wink:
Dave wrote: It's actually not a question of being 'bright' enough, it'd be easy to make the AI go straight for Konrad, but think about the scenario. The bad guys are just trying to attack the Elves and take over the forest. They don't know that Konrad and Delfador happen to live in this part of the forest, so their main aim is to kill all the Elves. They don't care that much if a couple flee from the battle.
I suppose. But it would be more interesting if they did know - the reason thy need to escape would be that the bad guys had gotten wind of their location, and the safe haven was about to become extremely unsafe. So maybe the AI would converge units on Delfador's castle, unless one ran across Konrad, at which they could converge on him, etc. Sort of remembering where he was last.

*shrugs* it isn't my game, so I understand if you disagree.
Dave wrote: In the current version, if you press escape it will skip the introduction sequence. The introduction sequence also doesn't automatically scroll forward anymore, it waits for you to press enter or click the mouse.
Ah, I didn't try the escape becaue I'd already learned that as the "quit to the command line" key.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave,

In first scenario give more money to enemy leader on south so he can recruit a massive army... that way it comes very clear that you have to flee.

- Miyo
Julian Morrison

More money

If anything I'd suggest: revert to the 0.3.4 scenario, but give Konrad slightly more money to start with. Not 100, say, but 150 or 200.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

miyo wrote:Dave,

In first scenario give more money to enemy leader on south so he can recruit a massive army... that way it comes very clear that you have to flee.

- Miyo
I agree with this idea.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Julian,

I actually preferred the first level being harder as well. However I had numerous complaints about it, here and by email.

I do like making hard, challenging levels, but I realize that different users have difference preferences. I think that difficulty levels is the solution.

Your story line suggestions may also be good. I'll think about it.

@fmunoz & miyo: Yes that's a good idea.

David