Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Post by Dave »

To begin with, I would like to apologize for the lack of clear communication and efficiency of operations around our financial side, Wesnoth, Inc, over the last seven years or so. As matter of explanation, as often happens in an Open Source project, the people who originally took on responsibility for running the organization (including myself) have drifted away to new adventures.

We need to reverse that direction. I want to hold nominations and then elections for a board of three members who will be responsible for the following:

- Collecting a revenue stream for Wesnoth, Inc.
- Publishing reports on our finances in a transparent and open fashion
- Assigning funds to spend on Wesnoth and other related game projects. Particularly to art commissions and server/infrastructure maintenance.

These people should be well trusted in the community and ready to understand this is an important and difficult responsibility.

One of the people on the board will be appointed treasurer. This person will have direct access to and responsibility for our financial accounts. This person must be a US citizen. The other board members need not be US citizens. You don't have to specify whether someone should be treasurer though, the board will decide it when elected.

Once a board is established we can draft a charter to be adhered to going forward, including a statement on transparency, licensing policies, and so forth.

Please nominate people for the board in this thread. You may make a statement about why that person would be a good nominee for the board. Someone may be nominated multiple times if multiple people want to make statements about them.

Please do not post anything in this thread other than nominations for board members.

EDIT: To be clear, anyone may nominate someone to the board. Only developers (those who have SVN write access) will be able to vote.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Post by Dave »

Welp, no nominations so far. I will nominate some people who I think would make good board members if they are interested:

Vultraz
iceiceice
Jetrel
shadowm
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I was going to nominate iceiceice myself as well.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

mattsc
zookeeper
iceiceice
Jetrel
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'd like to nominate:

Iceiceice
Aginor
shadowm
Jetrel
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I received some recommendations by PM:

1) shadowm (as to server/infrastructure maintenance … AMM)
2) doofus-01 (as to funds on art commissions)
3) treasurer: yep, iceiceice (cuz he's so very wary of the issue)
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Dave wrote: One of the people on the board will be appointed treasurer. This person will have direct access to and responsibility for our financial accounts. This person must be a US citizen.
Could you get rid of that requirement? I for sure don't want to be absolutely dependent on US for stuff like that, and it's not a fact that there even will be US based people for this position.
"meh." - zookeeper
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

loonycyborg wrote:
Dave wrote: One of the people on the board will be appointed treasurer. This person will have direct access to and responsibility for our financial accounts. This person must be a US citizen.
Could you get rid of that requirement? I for sure don't want to be absolutely dependent on US for stuff like that, and it's not a fact that there even will be US based people for this position.
The treasurer will have to be in the same country where the organization is registered, US or otherwise. This is a legal requirement that can't be averted. Since Dave has not only founded the project but is still around after all these years, it makes sense for it to be the country that he is in.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

GunChleoc is correct. The restriction is not going away and this is not the thread for this. Please do not turn this into a debate.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

loonycyborg wrote: Could you get rid of that requirement? I for sure don't want to be absolutely dependent on US for stuff like that, and it's not a fact that there even will be US based people for this position.
As others have stated, no, I'm afraid we cannot get rid of that requirement.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Another nomination by PM:

shadowm
iceiceice
doofus
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Then I cannot in good faith nominate or vote.
"meh." - zookeeper
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I'd like to nominate some people:

Aginor
Celticminstrel
gfgtdf
tekelili
Horus2

In regards to my own nomination:
If elected I would accept, and take it seriously.

Cheers,
iceiceice
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, whoever nominated me. If, somehow, I got elected, I'd also accept and do my best. But I do hope someone checks with the nominees for willingness before your voting starts.
(The three people I'd have nominated are already up.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

doofus-01 wrote:But I do hope someone checks with the nominees for willingness before your voting starts.
Yes, we will only proceed to elect people once those who were nominated have accepted. We will ask for acceptance after the nomination process finishes.