Should invisibility be scrapped?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Invisibility and FoW should definitely be kept, in my opinion. I only enjoy playing these sorts of games with FoW, because I think it is far more challenging and enjoyable. I think invisibility is a very nice feature and although it's always annoying to get ambushed by a Wose in the woods, I thoroughly enjoy it as an in-game feature.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Disto wrote:I like shround as you need to scout out the areas but fog of war is harsh, it can ruin someones game. I was playing a multiplayer v someone. Rebels v Rebels. If i hadn't tried to flank his attacking force with a smaller force he would of won the game. Imagine you are doing really well. Then a force appears behind you and creams you. How is that going to make you feel? Happy? glad? No it's going to annoy you. But if there wasn't any FoW and they cream you then you know its you're fault and it was your tactics no just someone slips a few units behind you.
I don't understand? Are you saying that it would not be your fault for not having defended against the possibility of sneak attacks? When you play with FoW, it is a rule of the game, just like different units having different defences on different terrain. If you go and attack enemy units only on terrain that favors them and only from terrain that your units are defenseless on, do you blame the fact that you lose on the terrain or on your own skill? I understand desiring to not play with FoW, as it makes the game one of complete knowledge, more analagous to chess then stratego, but when you play with it, don't blame your losing (or winning) on the rule, but rather your skill, or lack there of, in taking advantage of the rule.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

Why deleting FoW if it's an option? i don't understand the point.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

tigrezno wrote:Why deleting FoW if it's an option? i don't understand the point.
Exatcly. If you don`t like it, don`t play with it. It`s that simple.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I want an invisible drake =(
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Disto wrote:I like shround as you need to scout out the areas but fog of war is harsh, it can ruin someones game. I was playing a multiplayer v someone. Rebels v Rebels. If i hadn't tried to flank his attacking force with a smaller force he would of won the game. Imagine you are doing really well. Then a force appears behind you and creams you. How is that going to make you feel? Happy? glad? No it's going to annoy you. But if there wasn't any FoW and they cream you then you know its you're fault and it was your tactics no just someone slips a few units behind you.
I play games for a challenge. If my opponent slipped a large force behind me in a FoW game, then I learn from it. I probably was not using any/many scouts, or perhaps they setup a good diversion that kept me off-guard.
If they spent the time and resources to send a large force a GREAT distance on the map (so far around my scouts that it's take them turns and turns) then props to them for holding me off with their limited resources and pulling a great tactical victory through patience and cunning.

Plus, you don't have to win to have fun.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry