A Couple of Changes

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

A Couple of Changes

Post by Dave »

I've made a couple of changes to the interface:

- multi-hex attacks have been removed
- now if you click on an enemy unit who you can move and attack, it moves to the closest hex to the cursor, as originally proposed by quartex (IIRC)

I'm also considering implementing the following:

- if you select one of your units, and then click on an enemy unit that can't be attacked this turn, it will display a dialog that is much like the attack dialog, except that the dialog can only be closed instead of ok/cancel.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

All sound like good changes.

I think that the second option would be kind of strange, though... it would make it so if you are selecting one of your units, then want to check an enemy unit's stats, you have to get into a dialogue first. OTOH, it would be very useful..

Also, it would be useful if the attack dialogue showed enemy's ranged attacks even when you have no ranged, so that you know how much they will do on their turn.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

maybe shift-click to get a dialogue
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: I think that the second option would be kind of strange, though... it would make it so if you are selecting one of your units, then want to check an enemy unit's stats, you have to get into a dialogue first.
No you don't. As it works, and would continue to work, if you select your unit, then you only have to mouse over the enemy unit and it will display the enemy unit's stats on the right panel.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks Dave! Sounds good.
Mkgego

Re: A Couple of Changes

Post by Mkgego »

Dave wrote:I've made a couple of changes to the interface:

- multi-hex attacks have been removed

Watch Towers = ???... :? :( :?:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
scott

Post by scott »

But if select the unit, I get his movement squares to light up. Also, the enemy unit's movement costs and defense are now "active" in the UR of the screen - they show up when I mouse over other terrains. The info is available elsewhere, but this is so tactically convenient it's the only method I use to access each enemy's movement and defense.

Edit: this functionality would still be available I guess, but we would have to deselect the friendly unit then select the enemy unit to get that info
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Kharn

Post by Kharn »

Can you go futher into why to remove this feature.

Ive read the FPI and i have seen what youve said about it not being used.

But its been included in user made campaigns, and other user made stuff.\
And frankly its fun to play around with.

Unless it was slowing the game down, I really didnt see the effort used to remove it being worth it. Kinda of a why not have it situation.
Creator of 120+ units Lord of the Rings era and campaign now outdated & lost.
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Holy thread resurrection...

This change is really long time ago. It was done due to a simple reason: the ai was not able to handle it proper. And multihex attacks are not this easy to handle. Sure it is somehow possible to implement it, but is it wanted? We as Devs came to the decission that this part is not worth the trouble maintaining it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It seems that most non-technical people (and even many technical people) are aware of a very simple truth: the main effort in a feature isn't to implement it or remove it. The main effort is ongoing: to maintain it in light of other features being added and bugs being fixed.

The development team is not going to spend large amounts of effort maintaining features that we don't want or need. So we remove them.

David
Kharn

Post by Kharn »

Thanks man, had a feeling it would be that, its just that i literally spent near an hour looking for reason for its removal, I just had to post. Thanks for clearing it up.
Creator of 120+ units Lord of the Rings era and campaign now outdated & lost.
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.