Another stolen Wesnoth graphics report

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AxalaraFlame

Re: Another stolen Wesnoth graphics report

Post by AxalaraFlame »

No
@AI
Why?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

AxalaraFlame wrote:
No
@AI
Why?
Well, really most of what you said was completely ludicrous.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Well, really most of what you said was completely ludicrous.
Good. Deal with those polish pirates.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

*facepalm*

Did you even comprehend zookeeper's post? Or any of the posts so far in this thread?
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

The GPL requires that derivative works be licensed under the GPL. Not just the bits that were borrowed--the whole thing. And if your work is licensed under the GPL, you can only distribute it if you provide source.

So no, simply having a notice somewhere that the graphics are GPL'd/free would not be adequate. The GPL is all-or-nothing.

On the other hand, the GPL only applies to distribution (of a work or derivatives). If they're running this game on their servers, it might not count as distribution. But it could be argued that they're distributing the graphics to players, which could get them in trouble. I certainly wouldn't risk doing what they're doing without talking to a lawyer. On the other hand, if I owned the copyright to any of those graphics (and only the copyright holders matter here) I also wouldn't sue without talking to a lawyer. This could lead to a ground-breaking case, which is a risky and potentially expensive proposition. The GPL is designed to apply to code, and figuring out how it applies to graphics could be tricky

Anyone with an actual potential copyright claim here (the only people who matter) might want to check with the FSF and/or the EFF.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

A program using an image is not a derivative of the image.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

would it make sense to add the possibility of licensing images under LGPL for that sort of project? that way the images can be widely distributed with attribution intact. can Wesnoth use LGPL images?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

tr0ll wrote:would it make sense to add the possibility of licensing images under LGPL for that sort of project? that way the images can be widely distributed with attribution intact. can Wesnoth use LGPL images?
The LGPL is for making sure that you can link against a library without the need to license the whole application under GPL.
It does not make any sense for non linked stuff like images.

I think you do not need to make a program GPL if you only use images which are GPL.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

pauxlo wrote:A program using an image is not a derivative of the image.
You cannot use images without a license. So either their program is derived and they have to obey the GPL or it is not and they cannot use the images at all.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

It’s really a legally untested subject, but I do not think you can consider a web site a distributable item. A case could be made that if your project is separate from the images, it may be fine enough. If not, how would search engines deal with that?

Of course, this goes back to the GPL is probably not the best license for artwork.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

ancestral wrote:It’s really a legally untested subject, but I do not think you can consider a web site a distributable item. A case could be made that if your project is separate from the images, it may be fine enough. If not, how would search engines deal with that?
Search machines link to images, they do not copy and redistribute them. That is a difference. But, yes, it is legally untested.
ancestral wrote:Of course, this goes back to the GPL is probably not the best license for artwork.
Hm, that may be, but mostly in terms of "What is the source code of an image? Is it the layered/vectorized version of the image or does the final rendering suffice?" Such a question does not apply here.

Just as an aside: I am not a directly concerned party, AFAICT. But I disagree with our artwork being argued free game just because we chose to give it a freer license than many others. Restrictions still apply.

Regards

Lurker
Koo

Post by Koo »

I'm native polish speaker.

In http://www.kf2.pl/artykul/1 (main service regulations article) we can read that, copyrights of all content created by players [they may contribute in creating this game world] are given to game owners (but author's identity remain somewhere in work).
4. Z chwilą przejęcia własności projektu przez GW Team, projekt może być opublikowany w dowolnie wybranej formie medialnej, a co za tym idzie GW Team może pobierać wynagrodzenie płynące z tytułu publikacji. Zastrzega się jednak, że "T" i "Tw" zrzekli się roszczeń finansowych wraz z przekazaniem własności, jednakże za zachowaniem "Z".
['T/Tw' are an authors, 'Z' is an author identity]

It seems that one of players just make a copy of BfW's graphics.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

It seems that one of players just make a copy of BfW's graphics
So, they stole it? :hmm:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Axalara you can not steal open source. You can only abuse it. Claiming it as your own would not be acceptable, but additionally not successful anyway. Using it without being open source yourself seems to be not good. However that was written based on source code not graphics. So lawyers might enjoy this topic. This Polish side might need the information, that they use this graphics from Wesnoth, if a user uploaded it. Relax... Breath..
Koo

Post by Koo »

Here are mail addresses of this game maintainers: http://www.kf2.pl/artykul/3