About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fama

About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Post by Fama »

A friend of mine kept on bragging about this, so here it goes:
Shouldn't the Elvish & Dwarvish units be Elven & Dwarven? Like "Elven archer" and "Dwarven fighter"? Or is there are reason for them to be Elvish & Dwarvish? (Everytime I see the name "Elvish" I think about Elvis... Elvish scout... Hmm...)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

yes, they should according to Tolkien. the words are correct as they are for "normal purposes".

however, i think Tolkien's arguments for changing them to "elven" and "dwarven" were good. So i personally think we should make a conversion. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Don't forget 'Orcish'... we could change it to 'Orken' :wink:
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

Fama wrote:Shouldn't the Elvish & Dwarvish units be Elven & Dwarven?
Now that you mentioned it, dwarven sounds better than dwarvish. Dwarvish means "like a dwarf", while dwarven means "is a dwarf".
Dacyn wrote:Don't forget 'Orcish'... we could change it to 'Orken' :wink:
Orken sounds like swine. :? Rather than call them Orcish grunt and Orcish assasin, how about Orc Grunt and Orc assasin? I believe the correct term will just be to use the word "Orc" in front.
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

eugenelim wrote:Orken sounds like swine. :? Rather than call them Orcish grunt and Orcish assasin, how about Orc Grunt and Orc assasin? I believe the correct term will just be to use the word "Orc" in front.
I believe that Dacyn was joking. I like the term for orcs the way it is, but agree that Elvish and Dwarvish should be changed to Elven and Dwarven.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Elfs Dwarvs and Orks !

Orken sounds...ridiculus
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

joshbosh321 wrote:I believe that Dacyn was joking.
Yes, although I think it is somewhat inconsistent to use 'elven' and then 'orcish'. 'orc' sounds good, though...
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Elven and Dwarven do sound better. From D&D I remember phrases like "Dwarven mail", not "Dwarvish mail".
scott

Post by scott »

Need I remind everybody that Wesnoth is not [...]?

I couldn't resist. Demagogery can wipe out the best of arguments.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

Does this mean a cross between a Dwarf and an Ork is a...

Dork?

:D
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'm against this. Elven and Dwarven do sound better, but I think we are too close to 1.0 to undergo a change as major as this. For one thing, it will break saves. Also, every scenario that uses Elves will need to be changed.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

MadMax wrote:I'm against this. Elven and Dwarven do sound better, but I think we are too close to 1.0 to undergo a change as major as this. For one thing, it will break saves. Also, every scenario that uses Elves will need to be changed.
it's called "find and replace":)
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
silene

Post by silene »

joshbosh321 wrote:it's called "find and replace"
No, it's not. There is no way we will break backward compatibility. It was done months ago for a few units (crossbow -> crossbowman) and it's still plaguing the unit files because it requires to keep a different file for each different name. But you are free to come up with a code patch that allows to do a name change just by finding and replacing.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

An idea: change the unit names, not the IDs. But that has HACK written all over it.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

silene wrote:
joshbosh321 wrote:it's called "find and replace"
No, it's not. There is no way we will break backward compatibility. It was done months ago for a few units (crossbow -> crossbowman) and it's still plaguing the unit files because it requires to keep a different file for each different name. But you are free to come up with a code patch that allows to do a name change just by finding and replacing.
I meant "find and replace" in the scenarios/saves/unit files that need to be changed.

Edit: Also, I see no problem with changing the names and not the id's, except that that will probably annoy people who didn't realize that the names and id's aren't the same, and so get bugs in their scenarios.

---Douglas Adams