About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Post by miyo »

http://irclog.wesnoth.org/wesnoth/wesno ... 0031219.gz

[22:48] <Sirp> on this topic, should it be 'Elvish Fighter' or 'Elven Fighter'??
[22:51] <miyo> Sirp: As you see... we can stick with what we have.
[22:51] <Sirp> miyo: okay :)

-- Miyo
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Well, I think that the point must be: what are the most obvious adjectival forms for elf, dwarf and human?

We could always go for the plain but obvious 'elf archer' 'dwarf fighter' 'human scout' sort of nomenclature. This type is very easy to use - orc crossbowman, undead warrior.

It is quite clear that even various authoritative or 'authoritative' sources differ for one simple reason: English is a pastiche of a language, with rules taken from several different precursors. That's why we get foxes, but oxen; the plural of sow is swine, that for cow is kine, but most others just add 's'.

So why not just identify the unit by race/faction as outlined above? I realise many of us have some sort of emotional or stylistic or aesthetic reason for preferring 'elven archer' or 'elvish marshal', but 'elf archer' and 'elf marshal' would do just as well.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
miyo

Post by miyo »

autolycus wrote:So why not just identify the unit by race/faction as outlined above?
If it is not broken or wrong (if that matters) then why change it at all? We have already one way to do it, which seems to be more or less "correct" so we can stick with it. Very easy, no extra work required.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

miyo wrote: We have already one way to do it, which seems to be more or less "correct"- Miyo
and most seem not to like it, including several developers.

there is no "correct" way to do it, since english is a messed up language, but most people seem to like elven, so why don't we use it?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:so why don't we use it?
It's too big of a change this late in the development of the game.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
miyo

Post by miyo »

turin wrote:there is no "correct" way to do it, since english is a messed up language, but most people seem to like elven, so why don't we use it?
miyo wrote:http://irclog.wesnoth.org/wesnoth/wesno ... 0031219.gz

[22:48] <Sirp> on this topic, should it be 'Elvish Fighter' or 'Elven Fighter'??
[22:51] <miyo> Sirp: As you see... we can stick with what we have.
[22:51] <Sirp> miyo: okay :)
It has been once decided we will continue using 'elvish' how many times we need to iterate this? Until your point of view wins?

- Miyo
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

*mildly* as long as each set of units uses the same adjectival form, I'm happy; to me, it's not a matter so much of linguistics, but of aesthetics. And if the aesthetics are tolerable to a majority - whether much loved or just merely tolerated - I am not going to fuss overmuch.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

that looks to me like *you* decided and sirp agreed because he doesn't really care.

all i'm saying is very few people seem to think it should remain how it is, and the devs seem just as divided as the others. you are the only dev i've seen who is against a change. that doesn't seem "decided" to me...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

I'm with Autoclys on this. Will you stop using the rebel or knalgan factions because you can't bear to see them called "elvish" or "dwarvish"? I see no reason to use up time and energy making these changes, especially as they don't affect gameplay.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Just to stir the pot some more, I hate the Cavalryman and Crossbowman names, but couldn't care less about the use of Elf/Elvish/Elven or Dwarf/Dwarvish/Dwarven.

What was wrong with Cavalry and Crossbow, anyway? I hardly see an Orc as being in any way a man, whether male or female. And Cavalry is a perfectly acceptable singular form of the generic plural.

I'd much rather see 1.0 than this kind of fiddling with names.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

joshbosh321 wrote:I'm with Autoclys on this. Will you stop using the rebel or knalgan factions because you can't bear to see them called "elvish" or "dwarvish"? I see no reason to use up time and energy making these changes, especially as they don't affect gameplay.
Indeed, this is a 4-page waste of time. Our resources are limited, so let's use them for something that matters like balancing or artwork or campaigns (just to mention a few).
The distinction between Elven and Elvish does not warrent a 4-page discussion, it's such a tiny aesthetic thing.
Last edited by Gafgarion on November 8th, 2004, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Not related to the current thread of the thread, you may think changing unit names is difficult, but I can't change my forum name at all.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

miyo wrote:* English troops
* Finnish Bowman
* Swedish Spearman
Americish troops

hehehe

Despite the high level of work required for such a change, I support it. It could be done rather easily by a copy of BBEdit, - someone could do it in an hour.

That, and a big announcement regarding the change.

There's one reason I would like to see the change done - I envision us, someday not too terribly far off, having High Elves in the game, and thus being forced to rename our current elves to wood elves.

And when that happens, we have to use Elven, because Wood Elvish and High Elvish sound really stupid, but High Elven and Wood Elven sound fine.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Jetryl wrote:There's one reason I would like to see the change done - I envision us, someday not too terribly far off, having High Elves in the game, and thus being forced to rename our current elves to wood elves.

And when that happens, we have to use Elven, because Wood Elvish and High Elvish sound really stupid, but High Elven and Wood Elven sound fine.
Wood Elven Sharpshooter is too long of a name. Elvish Sharpshooter is already pushing it. There are real reasons not to go sticking extra adjectives on things. (Of course, 'wood' isn't even an adjective...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

just because something doesn't affect gameplay doesn't mean its not worth doing. it adds a lot to the polish and overall quality of a game*.

and there happen to be some of us who wouldn't mind using up the little time it would take to make this change actually doing it, if we could just get clearance to do it.

*: in the opinions of those who think it makes sense in the first place.

basically, if you don't think it makes sense, say why, don't say why we shouldn't do it because "it takes up time". it is only taking up time because you want to argue. stop filibustering!
The World of Orbivm