About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Re: About the Elvish & Dwarvish units.

Post by miyo »

Fama wrote:A friend of mine kept on bragging about this, so here it goes:
Shouldn't the Elvish & Dwarvish units be Elven & Dwarven? Like "Elven archer" and "Dwarven fighter"? Or is there are reason for them to be Elvish & Dwarvish? (Everytime I see the name "Elvish" I think about Elvis... Elvish scout... Hmm...)
Why must we use the Tolkien way? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

miyo wrote:
Fama wrote:A friend of mine kept on bragging about this, so here it goes:
Shouldn't the Elvish & Dwarvish units be Elven & Dwarven? Like "Elven archer" and "Dwarven fighter"? Or is there are reason for them to be Elvish & Dwarvish? (Everytime I see the name "Elvish" I think about Elvis... Elvish scout... Hmm...)
Why must we use the Tolkien way? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.

- Miyo
it sounds better, and IMHO tolkiens reasons for doing it apply here too.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
pg

Post by pg »

Does this really matter in the slightest? It's "ish" right now and it would be work to change it without any real advantage.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

pg wrote:Does this really matter in the slightest? It's "ish" right now and it would be work to change it without any real advantage.
asthetically it looks better.

i mean, the same argument you gave applied to cavalry (was renamed cavalryman, and good thing it was), and orcish crossbow -> crossbowman.

yeah, its work to change, but it makes the game look more polished. (to those who think its a good idea in the first place).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Actually, I'm sure that Elvish and Elven are two slightly different adjectives. Elven would mean being totally of the Elves, while Elvish would mean possessing certain qualities from the Elves. It's easier to explain by analogy.

For example: we say 'wooden ship' meaning that the ship is made almost completely or completely of wood; we say 'greenish colour' meaning that is somewhat green or green-like but not green exactly.

Elvish (adj) and Elvish (noun) are different too. When I say 'I speak an Elvish language' I mean a language which has some things in common with what Elves speak; when I say 'I speak Elvish', I mean I speak the language itself.

So the difference between an Elven Pillager and an Elvish Pillager is that the former is an elf who behaves like a pillager, the latter is pillager who behaves like an elf. :D
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

autolycus wrote:So the difference between an Elven Pillager and an Elvish Pillager is that the former is an elf who behaves like a pillager, the latter is pillager who behaves like an elf. :D
No, it's more subtle than that: An Elven Pillager is an Elf who is a pillager; an Elvish Pillager is a pillager who is like an elf. (In fact, he also is an elf.)

Anyway, I think Elven and Dwarven sound terrible, we should keep the current names. (AND IDs, of course.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shadowfury333
Location: In a wonderful place full of fire, and brimstone, and red guys poking me in the butt with pitchforks

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I prefer Elven and Dwarven, easier on my eyes and ears.
Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "PICK UP THE PHONE, DARKNESS!", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
—Night Elf Demon Hunter
Shadowfury333
Location: In a wonderful place full of fire, and brimstone, and red guys poking me in the butt with pitchforks

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I prefer Elven and Dwarven, easier on my eyes and ears.
Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "PICK UP THE PHONE, DARKNESS!", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
—Night Elf Demon Hunter
Fama

Post by Fama »

I like the elven & the dwarven better, and I left the orcish units out from the list for a reason; the "orken" just doesn't work. But I understand that there might be some reasons why you couldn't change it, and it ain't _that_ important.

PS. Thanks for moving this, didn't really know where to post.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Fama wrote:I left the orcish units out from the list for a reason; the "orken" just doesn't work.
What about 'orc'?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

miyo wrote: Why must we use the Tolkien way? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.
Because it's linguistically more correct.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

frame wrote:
miyo wrote: Why must we use the Tolkien way? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.
Because it's linguistically more correct.
Wh must we be linguistically correct? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.

Also, we already have such things as Nightgaunts and Halbardiers, so why bother with elvish/elven differences?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
frame wrote: Because it's linguistically more correct.
Wh must we be linguistically correct?
because it makes sense to, it makes the game seem better IMHO, and the majority seem to agree with me.
Elvish Pillager wrote: Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.
we can still be linguistically correct, though.
Elvish Pillager wrote:Also, we already have such things as Nightgaunts and Halbardiers, so why bother with elvish/elven differences?
just because we have stupid names in one place doesn't mean they all must be stupid.
The World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Wh must we be linguistically correct? Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings.
I see absolutely no reason why not to be. "Wesnoth is not Lord of the Rings" is totally unrelated and irrelevant.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:the majority seem to agree with me.
So would a poll be relevant on this?