Wesnoth Timeline revived!

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kamahawk

Wesnoth Timeline revived!

Post by Kamahawk »

I'm ending my self imposed exile from these forums and going back to updating the timeline in the Wiki.

To All Campaign Devs: If you want your work to be included in the timeline, just send me a PM with a list of chronological events leading up to the campaign, major events (I'm talking about huge battles not a skirmish with mages in the woods) in the campaign and when the campiagn takes place (what human king).

I will try to update the timeline fairly quickly after I recive your information, but it could take a bit.

Kamahawk, (unoficial) Historian of Wesnoth.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Welcome back!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

working on making said chronology for EI... (it always takes me a while to get to something, though).

btw, is this for only official campaigns, or all campiagns?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

People can just send their timelines to Kamahawk, and let him decide whether to include them. No need to set a standard :D.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
Shade

I updated the

Post by Shade »

I updated the timeline for TRoW era events, but if you can think of better wording or formatting go for it :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Welcome back Kamahawk!
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Glad to see you back!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

turin wrote:working on making said chronology for EI... (it always takes me a while to get to something, though).

btw, is this for only official campaigns, or all campiagns?
Hopefully, all the official campaigns (if I can mae that work) and all the unofficial ones that can fit in and are not contradictory to what the official campaigns imply.

EX: A campaign where a pair of walking corpses posses delfador and then use him to kidnap Li'sar is not going into the timeline.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Partialy updated EI into the timeline.

Campaign Devs: If you want your campaign to be included please send me the information.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Um, Turin, do you realize that according to your campaign Daycn is 400-3000+ years old? Givin the curent information he was an adult in the time of Haldric VII which would be roughly the seventh generation of man in wesnoth. EI takes place in the reign of Konrad II which is at least 4 (but verry likely MANY more) genations later.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Haldric VII is not necessarily 7th king of Wesnoth. Rulers didn't *always* name their first child after themselves, nor did that child inherit... :twisted:
Where is the Timeline?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kamahawk wrote:Um, Turin, do you realize that according to your campaign Daycn is 400-3000+ years old? Givin the curent information he was an adult in the time of Haldric VII which would be roughly the seventh generation of man in wesnoth. EI takes place in the reign of Konrad II which is at least 4 (but verry likely MANY more) genations later.
why do you assume that the tree must go thus?:

Code: Select all

haldric -> haldric II -> halric III -> .... -> haldric VII -> ... -> garard -> garard II -> konrad -> konrad II
it could go thus:

haldric -> haldric II -> garard -> haldric III ->  halrad -> haldric IV -> eldred -> ... -> garard II -> konrad -> haldric VII -> garard III -> konrad II
from what i've seen, that happens often in normal dynasties. they don't get one name, go with it for many generations, then switch. the go back and forth between usually 3-4 names.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

turin wrote:
Kamahawk wrote:Um, Turin, do you realize that according to your campaign Daycn is 400-3000+ years old? Givin the curent information he was an adult in the time of Haldric VII which would be roughly the seventh generation of man in wesnoth. EI takes place in the reign of Konrad II which is at least 4 (but verry likely MANY more) genations later.
why do you assume that the tree must go thus?:

haldric -> haldric II -> halric III -> .... -> haldric VII -> ... -> garard -> garard II -> konrad -> konrad II
it could go thus:

haldric -> haldric II -> garard -> haldric III ->  halrad -> haldric IV -> eldred -> ... -> garard II -> konrad -> haldric VII -> garard III -> konrad II
from what i've seen, that happens often in normal dynasties. they don't get one name, go with it for many generations, then switch. the go back and forth between usually 3-4 names.
I suppose, but your assuming that Garard is a decendant of Haldric and that it is one continous line. I think the name halric would have phased out of use by Konrad's time, but who knows?

If this is the case though I gusse I'll need to tweak a few things.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kamahawk wrote:I suppose, but your assuming that Garard is a decendant of Haldric and that it is one continous line. I think the name halric would have phased out of use by Konrad's time, but who knows?
I think that the names of monarchs are alot less inclined to change than names in use among common people. This is because the names of monarchs are clearly remembered in the history of a nation, and princes are typically named after kings of the past.

After all, France had Louis XV. The queen of the United Kingdom today has the same name as a queen several hundred years ago. My father's name is Alfred, the same name as a king of England more than a thousand years ago. Heck, I am named after a king who lived almost three thousand years ago :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
scott

Post by scott »

Wesnoth is not ... aw... #&$^ it.
I'm just kidding of course.

Any chance of Liberty's events being added? It would all occur within 2 months of the death of Garard II. The pertinent events would be humans inhabit isle of the damned, Elensefar returns to/gains/asserts independent city-state status, and the western Wesnoth border recedes, is fixed, and heavily defended for the next 19 years (until HTTT) (possibly allowing elves to flourish SW of Wesnoth).
If you are feeling really generous, I would also like to request the construction and destruction of the fortress of Halstead be added. The construction date would require some research (I'm thinking about 500 years prior). The destruction date is the same as everything else above.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.