Adding more keyboard support

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

dms wrote:Freeciv in hex mode uses 7,8,9,1,2,3 on the keypad and it works pretty well.
Gee...I didn't even know you can play FreeCiv in hex mode. Is that an unofficial patch, or supported by the main engine? Screenshots?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Shadowfury333
Location: In a wonderful place full of fire, and brimstone, and red guys poking me in the butt with pitchforks

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "PICK UP THE PHONE, DARKNESS!", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
—Night Elf Demon Hunter
dms

Post by dms »

Freeciv CVS and 2.0beta can do hex, but stable 1.14.x can't.

EDIT: The engine supports it, but the tileset is (currently) a separate download.
Last edited by dms on October 17th, 2004, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Shadowfury333 wrote:why not have:
w-up
s-down
q-left(upwards)
a-left(downwards)
e-right(upwards)
d-right(downwards)

not necessarily those commands, but something like it.
don't tell me... let me guess..

you have an american keyboard :twisted:

on a french keyboard, these letters are at different places and your shortcuts don't makes sense at all

I would use
8 up
2 down
7 lu
9 ru
1 ld
3 ld

or something like that...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
dms

Post by dms »

Boucman wrote:I would use
8 up
2 down
7 lu
9 ru
1 ld
3 ld
Yes, I agree
(This is what I meant before, but I didn't explain it very well)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Boucman wrote:on a french keyboard, these letters are at different places and your shortcuts don't makes sense at all
Dave wrote:each translation to define hotkeys applicable to the translation.
You could always make them different for French languages, but that does seem like unnecessary work...
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

turin wrote:
Shadowfury333 wrote:why not have:
w-up
s-down
q-left(upwards)
a-left(downwards)
e-right(upwards)
d-right(downwards)

not necessarily those commands, but something like it.
because some of those are used for current hotkeys, i'm pretty sure. plus, it 1) takes up space and 2) is more complex than just arrowkeys.
If the movement keys are configurable, then it really doesn't matter what set of keys that is set for the default. Because the player will always have option to configure the keys to what ever he/she likes.

If I had the option, I would personally use the "wasd" keys to scroll the map and use the mouse for attacking and moving units. I'll also use the "qe" keys to scroll back and fourth thru units.
Shadowfury333
Location: In a wonderful place full of fire, and brimstone, and red guys poking me in the butt with pitchforks

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Boucman wrote:on a french keyboard, these letters are at different places and your shortcuts don't makes sense at all
Je m'excuse. J'ai oublié qu'il y a les differents sortes de claviers. J'aurais dû réchercher les autres claviers avant que je suggere un configuration.
Darkness called… But I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "PICK UP THE PHONE, DARKNESS!", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
—Night Elf Demon Hunter