GSoC 2011 idea - Ladder

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iskander

GSoC 2011 idea - Ladder

Post by Iskander »

Hello. I want work in GSoC 2011 program. I have an idea:I want try to create system for automatically load statistic on ladder directly from game, replay file for example. In future I plan create an automatic system, for choosing rival with same rank. Can i work with it? Are there people who are interested in this?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Re: GSoC 2011 idea - Ladder

Post by Boucman »

hmm

yes and no...

the No side...

I personally have discussed with a couple of devs about integrating the existing ladder into the game, and there was a general negative response. The general fear is that it would make our MP community too competitive and would loose most of th sport spirit it has.

The general attitude was that we are not against the ladder system per-se, we are happy that it's successfull, we just don't want to make it a part of the game because it would give too much importance to the competitive spirit... We are happy to have it unofficial...

Now for the Yes part...
A more generic project of a network API for bots to talk to the server and monitor players, rooms, games and game results would be a GSoC project that would have much more chances of success. Its not specifically for the ladder but the ladder would be a (the) major use case. Other matchmaking services might be able to use it too.

Moreover it would make you familiar with the server code which is an area of wesnoth that could see more help...

Boucman
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iskander

Post by Iskander »

Thank you for help. Could you tall me, is somebody work for this part of game (network API i mean) and what i can read or something else to start work with it?
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Hi.

I'm not sure if wesnothd needs a special network API, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Gathering real-time statistics about games and players doesn't seem very useful from external consumer's standpoint and this information is already available to admins in server logs. When it comes to non real-time statistics, then a batch job that thoroughly processes contents of http://replays.wesnoth.org/ may be a better idea. Also, if some piece of information is missing from replays, it probably would still be easier to add it to replays rather than develop a network API for it. :hmm: