Releases, changelog, playtesting

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Releases, changelog, playtesting

Post by miyo »

When there is new release, start a new topic (should this only be applied to x.x releases or also x.x.x?. In later case x.x.x release information, bugs, after talk would go under topic "x.x release").

Can we have Changelog that lists the changes. Changelog should be cumulative. It should be included with the source (file: Changelog).

Can we setup list of things that need to be tested (with a new release)... people would report what they have tested? It might be hard to produce such a list. Do we need new tools for this? (eg. Wiki?)

For the sake of quality - we need more playtesting.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This is a very good idea.

I'll try to keep a cumulative changelog with the source distribution.

What would be good is for reports of not just bugs but reports of things tested with no bugs found. e.g. if someone says "I played scenarios 1 through 7 with this version and didn't find any bugs" then it can give us a degree of confidence as to the stability of the version.

I'm not sure about the best tools to facilitate this. Major options are,

- a new forum, 'Play Testing', or something, where every development version is announced in a seperate thread, and playtesting reports are given as replies to that thread
- a wiki
- a bug tracking system such as bugzilla

these options are not mutually exclusive, but I am liking option 1, mainly because it's simple.

Thoughts?

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: - a wiki
Forums are good for discussion (news are even better, better threading). But not so good for summing things up - this is where Wiki is better: you have collaboration (many can edit), you have changelog (if your wiki is version controlled), and the information is "static" (you don't have to read whole thread and collect all the pieces to find out what was decided).

Manual could be in Wiki... we can all edit and make it better. Instead of delegating/suggesting changes... we do them ourselves. Easing your burden.

We would have list of things to be done, decisions, unit tables, etc. And unlike forums... Wiki has dynamic references *grin*

Though Wiki is not good for discussion.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The main thing I don't like about wiki is being an arbitrary graph, entropy kicks in, and things tend to get disordered very quickly.

I speak from the experience of using Wiki at my workplace as our primary documentation system. Then again, maybe I just derive this opinion from my boss's flagrant and repeated abuse of it :-)

I guess we can give it a go - does someone want to set it up? ettin? If you'd like to set it up, miyo, I can give you ftp access.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Hmm... how do we get eg. Kwiki installed?

- Miyo

ps. I have Kwiki running at home and Kwiki running at work - so I prefer Kwiki *grin*
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It just runs on Perl/CGI right? Then it should be easy to install, I'd *assume*. That said, I honestly don't really want to do it myself, so could I please have a volunteer? :-)

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Do we have access to the machine? Running Linux? Debian? etc...

I won't volunteer before I know where I am putting my hands *grin*

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You can have ftp access to the machine, I think that should be enough. It is running Linux, I'm not sure what distribution.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

A bit hard to do all these steps over FTP *grin*

http://www.kwiki.org/index.cgi?Installi ... stedServer

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Ok maybe not, I'll look at getting shell access.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: It is running Linux, I'm not sure what distribution.
If it would be Debian - there is package for Kwiki: http://packages.debian.org/kwiki

That is how I have built all my Wikis - 'apt-get install kwiki'