[engine] Generate black backgrounds for art on install?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: [engine] Generate black backgrounds for art on install?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Which is precisely why it probably saves memory just to make and ship the small versions.

I'd still argue that we could probably make a help GUI that invalidated the need for them at all, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

thespaceinvader wrote:Which is precisely why it probably saves memory just to make and ship the small versions.

I'd still argue that we could probably make a help GUI that invalidated the need for them at all, though.
Well, I didn't quite get on my point very well there; I'm more-so getting at that Wesnoth is fairly large on itself, maybe not as large as other games, but for slow internet speed, it can be a problem.

Adding a lot of features to save memory can be useless, as it MAY cost the same as whats saved itself. This is more my point then anything else. Although this is for future reference then anything else...
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I find it hard to believe that a single image path function can be more filesize in text than a full color 200x200 png image.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

kitty wrote:Hmm, there are definitely visible differences between my and tsi's versions of the portraits and the ones you generated. But honestly the differences don't look too bad to me. I'd like to hear what the other portrait artists have to say to this minimal quality loss. I think I could live with it.
IMHO this is no practical degradation of the players experience if we went with these across the board. For what it's worth, i support it.

The time saved from making and managing the small portraits will probably eventually add up to more more new/improved portraits that if we continue as we are.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Gambit wrote:I find it hard to believe that a single image path function can be more filesize in text than a full color 200x200 png image.
The problem comes when we need image path functions like "sharpen" or similar, which must be programmed first (and add to the file size of the program).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

:| That's what I meant.

The largest source file (at least in the top src directory) is 175kb. The source itself is under eight megabytes. But of all that space do you want to know how big the largest image path function is?
~TC weighing in at 1.6kb:
Now I realize that that references external code, but bear with me for a few more numbers. Together, all of our current image manipulation functions are 10.2kb. Now the smallest small-style portrait I could find is the bat at 20.1kb. They average far closer to 50-60kb. So again; I find it impossible to believe that we actually make Wesnoth bigger by adding ~sharpen() and whatever the artists need and removing the small black portraits.

OTOH, the small black portraits only account for 6.5mb of Wesnoth's download size, so I'm not entirely sure that's even worth it. Even assuming that a year from now we have twice as many small black portraits it's still only a drop in the bucket.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Yeah, for really save download size maybe there should be a "more compressed sound" version, or one which only contains the sound changed/added since the last version.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Suggested so many times before, never proved well-used enough to be worth maintaining.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Remember every tool you wish to use on your art has to be in Wesnoth's game engine, which will take about one of the portrait's saved memory itself.
This feature is not really a “tool”, but more of a series of bugfixes and improvements upon features that have existed for many stable series already. The resulting object code is nothing compared to template-heavy code such as the AI modules.

Bottom line: refrain from posting on subjects you don’t know about, especially on a working thread. I’m moving this to Developers’ Discussions to avoid further noise.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

On a slightly off-topic note, we really, desperately need to figure out a better layout for these unit info screens where these black-backgrounded portraits get used. Our current presentation is just horrendous - especially with the vertically stacked portraits.

Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!