Guns in Wesnoth?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should some units in Wesnoth have guns?

Yes!
39%
No!
61%

Total votes: 66

methinks

Post by methinks »

SO we've all agreed that we do not want guns in Wesnoth <grin>
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote:SO we've all agreed that we do not want guns in Wesnoth <grin>
I actually like fmunoz's suggestion...

Guns are used occasionally as secondary weapons by elite units (Duelist and Curassier). They could also be renamed to make them sound a little ambiguous, and to reflect the primitive nature of the technology. Something like "thunder stick".

But you wouldn't see an army of musketeers running around...

David
DragonLord

Post by DragonLord »

I think guns are fine, as long as lvl. 1 units don't have them...

"Fire the musket!"
"Wow, you killed the enemy mage in one hit!"
:roll:
Fate is like an unpopular restaurant in which odd waiters come and give you things you didn't ask for and don't always like.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Well actually I think that even prmitive guns shouldn't be included in this game.
I know that poll results are not binding but, well, many people have strong arguments. I think that lack of gunpowder in the world of Wesnoth makes it's climate more original, mixig it with even primitive new-chemical-technology thing spoils it all for me. I do not want it in BfW and as far it is the strongest rawback of this game. Guns do not fit this beautiful world.
Blades

Post by Blades »

It's pretty much a high fantasy as is.

Guns wouldn't really detract from the already powerful influence of Tolkien we have.

However, if some people wanna stick with swords&sorcery that's okay with me, but Guns aren't bad. :?

Now what's really cool, is steamjacks.
Definately a neo-fantasy. Go to http://www.ironkingdoms.com/ and check it out. 8) :lol:

BTW, I'm gonna try to stay active, but school is deciding that it's gonna crush the last pitiful remains of my social life with massive papers, so I'm gonna be shaky at best. I can still develop maps though!(Yay textedit!) And BTW, Dave, I hope to finally finish the one I rpomised you way back when by friday, I can email it to you then, because my CVS is just being evil and deciding not to work.

Cya-
miyo

Post by miyo »

Blades wrote: because my CVS is just being evil and deciding not to work.
Maybe this helps - http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=331

- Miyo
methinks

Post by methinks »

I do not see this much of Tolkien's influence I se some originality in this game and guns would ruin it all for me. SWORDS&SORCERY baby. I will get sooo frustrated if this game will have those gun so please Dave, tell me you will not include them :/ I think that it would make Wesnoth totally different world so then you could as well ad lasers and other stuff.
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

"so then you could as well ad lasers and other stuff"
Ermm... yeah, and plasma canons. What's the reasoning behind that? You are leaping seeeeveral centuries ahead.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Could be a good point for the branching scenario line... complete a scenario. At the end a dwarf is experimenting and it blows up. You choose either he says "I'll never do that again!" or "This could be a useful weapon" keep both camps happy at the expense of the scenario writers ;-)
methinks

Post by methinks »

Yawningdog: I am frustrated ;)

Well I simply see some consequences, I mean OK, we add guns, why not add cannons, they are just bigger parts of metal using gunpowder as well. If there was a possibility to discover gunpowder than they would surely have invented bombs and cannons and other stuff. I don't know how it really was in history but I think then when you discover gunpowder it is easier to make bombs and cannons than a riffle. DO we want this game to be all technique driven bombing world or a climatic fantasy game with it's charming gameplay.
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

From a technical point of view, I'd rate crossbows equally intrusive; they were in fact dismissed as unhonorable inventions at the time, and there was a famous quote which I can't quite remember about how such an overly powerful gadget could end all wars (being too deadly, etc - we all heard the same about nuclear bombs, and still the madness goes on - but I'm just going off topic here :P).

Most arguments against guns have been based on "non rational" personal preference. But if a majority of people, for some reason they can't fully explain ;) just don't feel comfortable with guns, have a distaste for it, or even get totally frustrated by their appearence, so be it; remove all forms of guns and gunpowder. We "pro-gun" users (he, that sounds like if we were NRA members) could start a new campaign located a couple centuries later, where guns, canons and such are common place.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

How many times have you seen a gun carring unit (not counting the 1st version of dwarves)...
I'm sorry to say it but I have a nice sweet dwarven engeeneer draft with bomb as his long range attack :P
methinks

Post by methinks »

fmunoz wrote:How many times have you seen a gun carring unit (not counting the 1st version of dwarves)...
Enough to get frustrated. It is totall spoiler for me, like introducing t-shirts or wearing baseball cap.
fmunoz wrote:I'm sorry to say it but I have a nice sweet dwarven engeeneer draft with bomb as his long range attack :P
I hate you ;) j/k
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

yawningdog wrote:What about this?

http://home.comcast.net/~sylvanarrow/greek_fire.htm
I think that'd be fine, so long as the weaponry used to produce the fire looks archaic/ancient, and not modern.

David