Items images...

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fmunoz
Founding Artist

Items images...

Post by fmunoz »

I just suffered an attack of itemitis ... a grave illness that causes compulsive item image creation
Not all this items are really suited to this game but I post them to inspection.
The gif linked are smaller (in pixel size) then the bmp used so just ask me for the graphics:
Caped Plate (not trully original, need some redone)
Jade Lance
Bomb
Dagger
Steel Dagger
Round Buckler
Feathered hat
Goldbar
Golden Mail (not trully original, need some redone)
Arrows
Silver
Golden
TrueAim

Magician Hat

Some oriental flavour (really not in the mood of the game)
Kabuto
Oni Mask
Ninjato
Shuriken
Fire shuriken
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

I like your artwork.
It reminds me some graphics from Tibia, a game I played some years ago, and which graphics are based on Ultima 6 and 7.
If you need more ideas... this links can be useful:
Tibia Creatures
Tibia Items
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Yes I know Tibia (but never player) this afternoon I was considering sending them an email offering my graphic services ;-)
They have a pay per play game and they really need some improved graphics (seems that their good artits are working in the mobile phone game)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The graphics look great. We have to think about putting them in the game. I still want to make it so that when you view a description of a unit it shows all the items they are carrying.

Currently the only two items in the game are,

- Storm Trident - can be used by Mermen and gives them a long range, magical lightning attack
- Holy Water - can be used by any unit. Makes all of their close range attacks holy for the remainder of the level

Anyone have specific suggestions as to items we might put in, and the effects they might have? Mostly effects involve adding new attacks, modifying existing attacks, and changing unit stats like movement, etc. We will NOT be having items that involve anything specific in the interface to cater for that item (e.g. like a bomb that you select and throw at someone or something, it'd have to be just like a normal attack).

The sorts of things that items could do:

- a special bow, that increases the damage archers do
- a cloak which makes the wearer invisible
- poison, which makes one's weapon poisonous
- a scroll, which teaches a mage a new kind of attack
- boots, which increase someone's movement
- an exceptionally fast horse, which increases a mounted unit's movement

It would be possible to have something like a healing potion, but the effect would be to heal a unit that moves onto it on the spot. The potion would not be storable to be used later; storing it would complicate the game's interface.

David
Shroud

Post by Shroud »

If someone was to pick up the buckler, it could give a %20 chance to block any attacks.

Or perhaps a %10 or %20 chance to block attacks against a unit in a hex adjacent to the unit holding the buckler
miyo

Post by miyo »

Anyway, let's keep the items few per scenario so we don't build yet another get-the-powerups game. Fighting is done with units not with items, occasional few items in scenario can give some extra flavor.

Storm Trident at the bottom of the sea in Bay of Pearls was nice.
White Mage hiding in the temple in Muff Malal's Peninsula was nice.
Potions of Holy in the Valley of Death, ermm... it would have been better to have ancient ruins (eg. in the forest) or temples to visit and find these items from them.

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Maybe a sacred fountain hidden in a glade?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:Anyway, let's keep the items few per scenario so we don't build yet another get-the-powerups game. Fighting is done with units not with items, occasional few items in scenario can give some extra flavor.
Absolutely. We will not be having an insane number of items in the game.

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I have more item images at
http://www.geocities.com/fmunoz_/wesnoth/items.html

I have also a couple of ideas for items, powerfull but not too much

Lion Banner
A red and golden flag.
It gives the Leadership and a +1 level to apply it (so a fighter with this banner will apply the skill to other fighters too)

Unicorn horn
Gives heal to the user

Phase Glyph
A ancient looking rune carved stone
Gives the teleport ability.

Nothing too fancy but very usefull.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

One current potential problem in the game is that each unit can have only one special ability. So you can't have a unit that has leadership and can teleport, for instance.

Question: do we want to keep it like this, or should I add support for units having more than one special ability?

At the current time if you get an item that gives you a special ability, it clobbers over any other special ability you have.

I'm also looking at allowing weapons to be of more than one type. If a weapon is used against an enemy, the damage is calculated using the best possible type. The primary motivating example for this is dwarves and their axes. I think that a battle axe should have type 'blade' and 'impact', making it good generally, as well as good against undead, since if you think about it, an axe would likely be good against undead.

David
zas

More than one ability :)

Post by zas »

I think having more than one ability per unit is a good idea, especially if in future we have books as objects, so units can learn a new ability ...
temporary abilities can be result of spells, ....
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Dave wrote:One current potential problem in the game is that each unit can have only one special ability. So you can't have a unit that has leadership and can teleport, for instance.

Question: do we want to keep it like this, or should I add support for units having more than one special ability?
At the current time if you get an item that gives you a special ability, it clobbers over any other special ability you have.
It's a strategic game with some flavour of RPG (not the other way around) so you are right forget about items giving abilities.
Dave wrote: I'm also looking at allowing weapons to be of more than one type. If a weapon is used against an enemy, the damage is calculated using the best possible type. The primary motivating example for this is dwarves and their axes. I think that a battle axe should have type 'blade' and 'impact', making it good generally, as well as good against undead, since if you think about it, an axe would likely be good against undead.
David
Why not just make 2 entries for a weapon.
axe -> blade 8/3 melee
axe -> impact 6/3 melee
Keeping things simple will be better.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Spear should also be given 'impact'... you can use it like staff.

Don't make it use most efficient method of attack - because sometimes I want to make the enemy weaker and then finish it with selected unit (keywords here are experience and leveling)

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:Spear should also be given 'impact'... you can use it like staff.

Don't make it use most efficient method of attack - because sometimes I want to make the enemy weaker and then finish it with selected unit (keywords here are experience and leveling)
The idea of having multiple ways to attack like this is to do more damage, not less. No spearman is going to intentionally attack with the wrong end of his spear.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

That really depends... check the chinese (martial arts) way of using spear. They use both blade, shaft and blunt end.

But you do have a point... players (like me) would possibly like to do things (optimization) that warriors would not use in real combat.

Miyo takes a hit.

When there are multi-use (crush/impale/cut) weapons - maybe unit should use most efficient method (after all they are professionals, right?).

- Miyo