Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Post by miyo »

This far we have gotten with swamp, shallow water and deep water... and current defense types. We get complaints that Wesnoth is too hard... and now you people want to make it even more complex (which in my opinion makes it more harder as there are more factors to take in account).

Soon we need different levels of "air" so that air based units can be attacked with melee units if they are in ground or flying low... can be attacked only with ranged if they are flying medium... and can not be attacked except by other flying units when they are flying high.

- Miyo
Last edited by miyo on August 24th, 2004, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

So? =) Water battles don't take place alot, and this would make em slightly more interesting; am I right or am I right?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

miyo wrote:This far we have gotten with swamp, shallow water and deep water... and current defense types. We get complaints that Wesnoth is too hard... and now you people want to make it even more complex (which in my opinion makes it more harder as there are more factors to take in account).

Soon we need different levels of "air" so that air based units can be attacked with melee units if they are in ground or flying low... can be attacked only with ranged if they are flying medium... and can not be attacked except by other flying units when they are flying high.

- Miyo
Major difference: Air is not a terrain.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

miyo wrote:

- Miyo
Major difference: Air is not a terrain.[/quote]

I proposed this to Dave once :D but I included if units would land or not if they ended a flight, he just thought it was to complicated; and I agreed.
miyo

Post by miyo »

You guys quite often miss the point.

It was about adding more and more complex things... not about "air is not terrain"

- Miyo
Elvish_Pillager

miyo wrote:You guys quite often miss the point.

It was about adding more and more complex things... not about "air is not terrain"

- Miyo
Elves have good defense in forest, Dwarves have good defense in mountains, Yetis have good defense in tundra, why should sea monsters not have good defense in deep water? How is that more complex?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

:D It's the magic of ignorance, so who is actualy in charge of finishing this three ? Jetryl ? Someone?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Elves have good defense in forest, Dwarves have good defense in mountains, Yetis have good defense in tundra, why should sea monsters not have good defense in deep water?
That was not my point either. Second miss. One more and you are out of the game (at least if we play "baseball" with finnish rules).

Treefolk have pretty poor defense on all terrains because InsertYourFavoreReasonForThisInHere.

- Miyo
Elvish_Pillager

miyo wrote:That was not my point either. Second miss. One more and you are out of the game (at least if we play "baseball" with finnish rules).
A) What was your point?
B) What game?
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Adding new terrain doesn't make the game harder since it influence just the same basic parameters: mvt cost and defense but it adds diversity and can improve the tactic aspect of the game. If people wants more water based units, maps and scenario, adding some more terrain is logic too.
Ford and bridges are actually nice mix of land/water terrain but you could add mangrove (forest/swamp?), reef, kelp (underwater forest?), vortex (impassible for most water units)...
Miyo: do people complain that the rules of BfW are hard to understand or that it is hard to win?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Adding more terrains does not make the game better, because you quickly end up repeating yourself. There are 10 different defenses and 5 sane movement values. Pretty soon you won't be able to find a way to distinguish terrains. Already, there is little difference between swamp and shallow water.

Adding water-based terrain makes even less sense, since this is a mostly land-based game. The focus should stay on the land, and we shouldn't add water terrains just because we can.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Christophe33 wrote:Adding new terrain
who's talking about adding a new terrain? That was an example.

I don't think adding new terrains is a good idea; changing movetypes is another matter.
Elvish_Pillager

What? Nobody suggested new terrains IIRC...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:What? Nobody suggested new terrains IIRC...
Someone suggested an air terrain :wink:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

miyo wrote:This far we have gotten with swamp, shallow water and deep water... and current defense types. We get complaints that Wesnoth is too hard... and now you people want to make it even more complex (which in my opinion makes it more harder as there are more factors to take in account).

- Miyo
The whole point of miyo's post is that we don't want to make the game more complex by adding more water terrains. Yes, there are only 3 terrains for water units, but I think the emphasis should be on land units. If we have too many terrain types things will get too complex, or else we'll just start repeating ourselves, as new terrains have the same stats as old ones.