Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Fire would have
If Wesnoth was about realism.
Not. Your argument is illogical, but if you want to argue post in OT.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Big thumbs up, Jetryl, I love the idea and the units. A few comments, though.

1) The chests of the hunter, spearman and javelineer look odd. What is that grey stuff anyway?

2) The spearman and javelineer's.. eh.. protrusions (the yellow things) look a bit odd to me although the ones on the Hunter and those on the javelineer's head look okay.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Na'enthos wrote:Big thumbs up, Jetryl, I love the idea and the units. A few comments, though.

1) The chests of the hunter, spearman and javelineer look odd. What is that grey stuff anyway?
The have a strap of leather holding a "quiver" of spears on their back.
Na'enthos wrote: 2) The spearman and javelineer's.. eh.. protrusions (the yellow things) look a bit odd to me although the ones on the Hunter and those on the javelineer's head look okay.
There are two protrusions which are unfortunately similar - the first results from crown on the guy's head, the second from spears tucked in the quiver hanging on their back.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

why's level 3 always golden

Post by Rhuvaen »

I've come late to this thread (mostly to admire the artistry and find out what people are working on right now). I really like the graphics and consistency of the unit concepts.

Just one little gripe: it's the seemlingly automatic association of the colour 'gold' with level three. I think for Mermen, a pearly or sea-shell colour would be a better fit. These creatures need to look good in the waves, not on grassland :wink: . Level 3's might have pearl-plate armours, and sea-shell shields. Might even give them a sea-horse mount.

(sorry if any this has already been discussed, I've started with the most recent posts and will work myself forward depending on interest).

Rhuvaen
Circon

Post by Circon »

Yeah, pearls. That's a nice, hard, sea-ish material in a good new color.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Circon wrote:Yeah, pearls. That's a nice, hard, sea-ish material in a good new color.
Good idea on the "pearl" coloring - if I can pull it off, it is likely that the mermaids will wear such stuff.

As to the idea of seahorse mounts - no. Mermen do not use any mounts of any type - though they might domesticate larger creatures such as whales to help with heavy hauling of weight, they themselves do not gain any benefit from riding anything.

I mean, the problem is - without legs, they cannot straddle anything's back. They would need to hold on with their arms, and that defeats the very purpose of mounted warriors - mounting is only useful for us humanoids because we have our arms free to use a weapon.

I could see mermaids allowing their allies to ride *them* in order to cross water that is too deep for them to enter - but the graphical and gameplay implications of this are too messy to consider.

If the idea ever gets used, it would be in a story sequence.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

jetryl

they could ride like amazons (sideway

they could use specially crafted saddles, a simple leather loop would do a proper saddle for a mermen morphology
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Anyways, now that I have some time free, I thought I would post an idea I had.

The mermen priests/diviners (sangel's names) should, IMO, be analogous to the white mage/mage of light of humans.

I assume for storyline reasons they follow the same (deliberately vague) religion followed by the humans, and are estranged from the humans only because of the actions of Asheviere.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Agreed. That's exactly what I had in mind for them.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Plasticgod

Post by Plasticgod »

Because of the less number of movement that marman can have on land, there could be some supportive units like seagulls (As scout), seal or sea lion and, even, PENGUINS (Yeah, a killer penguin would really rocks... Yesyes, you are right :roll: N.D.R.).
Let's assume Sea Lion and Seal got like 8 movement.
2 on land, 1 on sea.
They still slow, but not that slow, and they can be somewhat, speaking of sea lion, the "wall unit" for the Merman/Mermaids.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Plasticgod wrote:Because of the less number of movement that marman can have on land, there could be some supportive units like seagulls (As scout), seal or sea lion and, even, PENGUINS (Yeah, a killer penguin would really rocks... Yesyes, you are right :roll: N.D.R.).
2 on land, 1 on sea.
They still slow, but not that slow, and they can be somewhat, speaking of sea lion, the "wall unit" for the Merman/Mermaids.
IF you read the thread, you would realize there is NOT going to be a whole new faction, just one or two units.

We already have enough factions IMHO, and i think most devs agree with me...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Plasticgod

Post by Plasticgod »

turin wrote:
Plasticgod wrote:Because of the less number of movement that merman can have on land, there could be some supportive units like seagulls (As scout), seal or sea lion and, even, PENGUINS (Yeah, a killer penguin would really rocks... Yesyes, you are right :roll: N.D.R.).
2 on land, 1 on sea.
IF you read the thread, you would realize there is NOT going to be a whole new faction, just one or two units.

We already have enough factions IMHO, and i think most devs agree with me...
Yes, but they will work fine in some sort of campaign in open sea, let's say an alliance between merman and <place here the faction you wish> in a campaign where sea is the main terrain.
Only mermen and mermaids can be a little boring, with a couple of new units (Not a whole bunch of them) that can help in those campaign the trick is done.
IMHO

You can make them avaible only in Campaign mode, like noble prince, peasants etcetc.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ah, i get it...

thank you for volunteering to draw/make stats/balance all of these units. I look forward to your patch. /dave_mode
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LordTobias

Post by LordTobias »

Yep, the mermans look incredibly. Nice ideas.

Oh, and someone mentioned "Whales" somewhere. That would be a good third unit to add or whichever, for the missing "impact" attack. That, and as mentioned, the meat walls that can stand in front of the Mermen (if they really need them -- a 30% chance to be hit is pretty damn good).

Anyways, if the Mermen had their own faction it would be great, but would also suck copious amounts of animal ass. I recent fought the computer, who, oddly enough, recruited almost nothing but Mermen to fight in forests and on plains.

Have you ever seen what 7 Wraiths do to 16 Mermen on land? It's damn funny.

So, yeah, adding mermen as a separate faction is VERY bad. But the extra units for a campaign mode (hell, even multiplayer) would be really nice. Er...with the inclusion if several more primarily water stages, anyway.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Anyhow, here is a preliminary graphic for a mermaid:

Do not comment on the lack of a bra, that's to get the shape right.

Whether such will be included in the final unit is up for grabs.