Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I think it would be kinda nice this way, because no-one is wanting to have 3 pure aquatic units in their unit list, at the moment you mostly use mermen in masses, so chances are big of getting a few female and a few male.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

quartex wrote: I don't mind having male and female units, I only ask that unit trees don't split based on sex of units. If mermen and mermaids are different units, that is fine. But if how a unit advanced depends on the randomly generated gender, that gets confusing to users.
Yes - I agree wholeheartedly - and I have made sure that this never happens.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Here I redid the merman and the netcatcher graphics, the triton shows enough about how the tail of these two looked before.
Bander

Post by Bander »

Why is the pikeman ranged? Because pikes are very heavy weapons, hard to throw. We could make it a javilneer.... or something :lol:

PS - Thats some nice tail! :D
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Down Bander. ;)

As usual Neorice, very nice work. Your images are a definite improvement. I particularly like the modifications you've made to the Netcaster's "hood".
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It's a hood? at first it represented the weird transformation of his forehead into some sort of slong, so I fixed it :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:
quartex wrote: I don't mind having male and female units, I only ask that unit trees don't split based on sex of units. If mermen and mermaids are different units, that is fine. But if how a unit advanced depends on the randomly generated gender, that gets confusing to users.
Yes - I agree wholeheartedly - and I have made sure that this never happens.
no... you appear to have made it so only males can advance into warriors, and only females into ... whatever those things are.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Smelly armpits.
Bander

Post by Bander »

I am never enthralled by the song of a smelly arpit :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Jetryl wrote: Yes - I agree wholeheartedly - and I have made sure that this never happens.
no... you appear to have made it so only males can advance into warriors, and only females into ... whatever those things are.
Turin, you don't get it, dude.

He said random choice of gender - made by the game for you.
Like, if you hired a random merperson, and got either a male or female, with separate options for each.

There is no problem when the player makes the choice himself.
Right now, and always, there is no effect on gameplay by a unit's gender. The only difference is in sounds, and graphics. Any unit that you get, will have the exact same levelling options regardless of what gender the game makes it, if there even is the possibility of multiple genders for a unit.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Bit of a nuisance to edit the pixs out of that sheet, but I know exactly why neorice edited them in place. (MSPAINT, hint hint).

Anyways, uh, I took the merman out, and gave my additional edit to his tail, giving it (hopefully) more of a wet-scaly look. Neorice already did the first half of my job for me (thank you), by shading it correctly.

I am going to go out on a limb, and try and do a slithering/whatever tail animation for this guy - for moving. Whether there is or is not support for this, I am sure dave would add it, given his previous comments (namely - support for it being animated. We already have support for a single frame of it...).

The good news is, if it pans out, it can be used for the entire race.

As regards the angle of the fin on the tail, I am still postulating about that, though I will say that the naga should perhaps lose theirs.

Also, though this technically should be in the art forum, I don't mind working on it here, because less of the forum-flamers will mess with us as we work.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

getting there, but not right at all. Needs to put a lot of the torso into it, and reduce the "bulge" effect near the tail.

"Dude, I can see your bulge... eww."
pip8184

Post by pip8184 »

it's too fast, so it looks like his tail is made from some sorts of cloth rather than flesh and scales.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

6 hours and one comment from someone who can't read the fact that I said myself that it sucked later...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

unfortunately, this necessitated a new base frame, attached

"[censored] blood" - i've been working on this stupid thing for six hours straight.