Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordTobias

Post by LordTobias »

Actually, Jetryl, most things I read and have seen Mermaids didn't wear bras. Just exposed themselves. ::shrug:: Pixelated boobs are not a big deal to me, honestly. (If someone gets upset over some pixelated boobs, there's a serious problem with him)

Anywho, if you do add a bra, a pearly-pink colored one would be good. I think the color I'm thinking of is "champaigne." Not sure if that's what they call it.

Model looks excellent, though.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Base images for merman and mermaid:

These are the civillian versions - the ones without weapons. They may well have a use, but besides the point the female one was integral to getting the damn unit off the ground.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Oh sangel, good lad, could you come up with some ideas for what to make the siren line look like to differentiate it?

I have my own, but yours are a different batch if I don't sully them with mine. And I could use all the ideas I can come up with.

Do note, I am thinking of priestesses having shoulderpads/mantles, not unlike what neo seems so fond of making (although as I would do them, which... makes them a bit less overpowering).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

God damn was it hard to make the headress fit on this lady. The idea was sort of a white scarf made out of white ... something ... woven together.

whatever - it needs to distinguish her from other mermaids.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

current revision of mermaid tree - IGNORE THE STATS. Are the names alright?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Looks good to me...though not sure mermaids need a fourth level...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Plasticgod

Post by Plasticgod »

If you dont want pixelated boobs, you can make them wear a pair of seashells that change color each level they advance.
Its something already seen, but it fits perfectly.
Last edited by Plasticgod on September 23rd, 2004, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The names are fine, and I like the graphics. However, I prefer my original idea of mermaids having no melee attack at first level and a more powerful ranged attack. The Priestess line will get a ranged attack, the Siren won't. (Yes, this will increase her vulnerability substantially).

This also allows us to remove the Initiate's wand, which will accentuate the difference between her and the Priestess. Currently, I don't think the differences are bold enough.

Apart from that - nice work Jetryl!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
LordTobias

Post by LordTobias »

Er...just saying this: if the last level is a Siren, it would essentially have to have ranged attack. Y'know, the whole...singing thing.

The idea of sea shells over the chest makes sense, if you can implement that so you don't have to worry about bare chested Mermaids, Jetryl. Otherwise, they all look excellent.

No feed back on what the classes without graphics should look like in my mind, save for the Siren, if she's put in there. Just an opinion, but I think the Siren should have longer hair (more "wild" looking) and slightly, but not entirely noticeable, lighter skin.

I don't think she should have any wands or staves or anything, either. Let 'er go fistacuffs (heh eh), and have her nice ranged attack.

How's that sound to you?

~Tobias
"Never argue with an idiot -- they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience... Never argue with me -- I'll drag you down to my level and fuckin' beat you to death!"
~Some website
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Note to the keen in sight - the priestess actually has a bra, which is (drum roll) sea-shell colored. Perhaps I should amplify the effect - these graphics can still be in flux at this stage.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Diviner. I tried to do a classy belt with danglies hanging off of it, but for all my efforts it wouldn't stop looking like a bikini bottom. :oops:

Which is anatomically impossible on these poor ladies, so, since I didn't want anyone to think that it was meant to be that, I had to give it the axe, and settle for a normal belt.

Note that like the mermen, these are notably greater in stature than their lower-level counterparts, besides the addition of new clothing and such.

The same is true of level 2.

Now, sadly, I have to keep the wand for the initate, though the lvl2 & 3 of the siren line will also have wands. The reason for this is that the civilian mermaid looks exactly like the initiate minus the wand. And I personally plan on using the civilian version sometime.

The level 4 siren will not have a wand.
Plasticgod

Post by Plasticgod »

Jetryl wrote:Note to the keen in sight - the priestess actually has a bra, which is (drum roll) sea-shell colored. Perhaps I should amplify the effect - these graphics can still be in flux at this stage.
I noticed the Yellow seashell, maybe you can change colour for each level.
Like Coral, Pearl etcetc.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The diviner looks really nice. These mermaids are looking better and better. I love the colors, the detail, everything! Good work Jetryl.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Nivel 2.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Beautiful. Maybe you could make it a subtle change from level to level.

For example: change the colours gradually so that the L1 mermaid is blue-scaled blue-haired but the most powerful L4 siren is green-scaled green-haired; the rest are in-between. The staff also might begin as a long plain pole and get more decorative and shorter (so it is an icon-tipped wand at L3) until it disappears totally at L4.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH