(Not) another look at our factions....

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I agree that a slight increase in damage for the walking corpse would help. Maybe it would finally be able to kill an enemy and make a walking corpse out of it. I think the plague power should also be given to the Dark Adept and upgrades. And an increase in range damage would be really welcome. 12-2 should be a good start since they have no melee.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
miyo

Post by miyo »

Christophe33 wrote:I think the plague power should also be given to the Dark Adept and upgrades. And an increase in range damage would be really welcome. 12-2 should be a good start since they have no melee.
Dark Adept has already magical attack (guaranteed 70% hit-chance) now I would not give it heavy damage magical attack with plague... I think that would be too much.

- Miyo
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Dave wrote:Dark Adepts have no melee attack, and so they should be powerful at range to compensate. How does 12-2 sound to people?
I think this is good. Corresponds to two 'freezing ectoplasm' attacks, maybe. Question: why can't dark adepts 'heal' their undead (like a white mage, but only for undead) as compensation for this? Of course, we've talked about this before, but if dark adepts are really so weak, either leadership or healing (undead-only) might be useful.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Shade

Post by Shade »

autolycus wrote:
Dave wrote: Question: why can't dark adepts 'heal' their undead (like a white mage, but only for undead)
Why not just use the stock 'heal' (or 'leadership) ability? By definition they're part of that faction, or have that role. . . KISS. . . you shouldn't even have to limit it. . . Hmm. . . Could a lv. 1 dark adept act as a leader to a lv. 0 walking corpse (or bat)? That would help extend their usefulness. . . I rambling, I go sleep now. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I agree with 12-2 and Heals. The Lich would have Cures.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
AT

DA

Post by AT »

Dark Adept and Walking Corpse are now upgraded.
Dark Adept should be more usefull, but were not given 20-2 attack with magic, plague, ambush, heal, cure, and teleport.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

As I posted in the art development forums under "once great heroes across the plains": does every race need to have a healer? Orcs don't. What if instead we gave several of the level 3 units the ability to auto-heal? For every 30 XP (or any number) they get they level up, except since they can't level up any more, they just heal themselves back up to full. Make the number too low and the unit would be nigh invincible, make it too high and the ability isn't very useful. But I think it could be an interesting alternative to giving every race a healer.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

quartex wrote:What if instead we gave several of the level 3 units the ability to auto-heal? For every 30 XP (or any number) they get they level up, except since they can't level up any more, they just heal themselves back up to full. Make the number too low and the unit would be nigh invincible, make it too high and the ability isn't very useful. But I think it could be an interesting alternative to giving every race a healer.
This is interesting, but I suspect it would play havoc with the AI and with the current strategic model, since it would then encourage 'barbarian horde' style attacks and more 'do or die'. We and the AI would have to think of the probability of 'level-healing' vs that of dying in the attempt, and there'd be a lot more 'attack and hope to make level' events.

For the reason that it mucks with the strategic model, I think it probably won't be implemented...
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Elvish_Pillager

Now the Necromancer looks wimpy.

Gwiti: Woohoo! I got a Necromancer! Now my mighty wizard deals out 12-2 instead of 10-2!

Um...

Suggestion: Instead of loading on more power, give the Necromancer (and Lich) Walking-Corpse-Plague. I suggest changing Plague into a unit ability, allowing it to work in conjunction with Magical--- and giving unit abilities a paramater. This would allow for setting the type of unit it plagues to, setting the terrain ambush is in... and giving the Necromancer and Lich a nice ability. Face it, mages can't be that simple, and Necromancers NEED to raise the dead.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

quartex wrote:As I posted in the art development forums under "once great heroes across the plains": does every race need to have a healer? Orcs don't. What if instead we gave several of the level 3 units the ability to auto-heal? For every 30 XP (or any number) they get they level up, except since they can't level up any more, they just heal themselves back up to full. Make the number too low and the unit would be nigh invincible, make it too high and the ability isn't very useful. But I think it could be an interesting alternative to giving every race a healer.
Like the necrophage?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

MadMax wrote:
quartex wrote:As I posted in the art development forums under "once great heroes across the plains": does every race need to have a healer? Orcs don't. What if instead we gave several of the level 3 units the ability to auto-heal? For every 30 XP (or any number) they get they level up, except since they can't level up any more, they just heal themselves back up to full. Make the number too low and the unit would be nigh invincible, make it too high and the ability isn't very useful. But I think it could be an interesting alternative to giving every race a healer.
Like the necrophage?
Um, that might make sense if you could actually get the Necrophage! Currently I believe the only way to get it is upgrade a Ghoul in Age of Heroes in multiplayer! But yes, if anything gets it, the Necrophage would be the thing.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I agree that plague should be changed to raise walking corpses instead of raising copies of the unit that has plague. That way units like necromancers could raise walking corpses, which would actually make sense.
Elvish_Pillager

Elvish Pillager wrote:Suggestion: Instead of loading on more power, give the Necromancer (and Lich) Walking-Corpse-Plague. I suggest changing Plague into a unit ability, allowing it to work in conjunction with Magical--- and giving unit abilities a paramater. This would allow for setting the type of unit it plagues to, setting the terrain ambush is in... and giving the Necromancer and Lich a nice ability. Face it, mages can't be that simple, and Necromancers NEED to raise the dead.
Thus, in the Necromancer unit tag,

Code: Select all

ability=plague
ability_parameter=Walking Corpse
This would allow Necromancers to get Plague without multiple attack specials, and allow differing plagues in case we want them. (Liches get soulless? soulless get soulless?) Also, it would make Plague not nearly as hard to balance.

P.S. It would allow Ambush in non-forest, as well.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on August 11th, 2004, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

quartex wrote:I agree that plague should be changed to raise walking corpses instead of raising copies of the unit that has plague. That way units like necromancers could raise walking corpses, which would actually make sense.
but then it isn't plague; it's necromancy.
Elvish_Pillager

Dacyn wrote:but then it isn't plague; it's necromancy.
Change its name then! That's not difficult...