Classic factions are supposed to be all one race, right?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Right?

Right.
32%
Wrong!
68%

Total votes: 22

miyo

Post by miyo »

turin wrote:This is exactly what dave has said it does equal.
If that is the case I disagree with him.

- Miyo
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

miyo wrote:Do orcs always fight alone (let's check some classics like e.g. LotR)? Maybe orcs have enslaved goblins?
You have grammatical problems again, miyo. Anyway, this is one of the cases in which orcs should fight alone.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dacyn,

and you get on my nerves... so we are equal :P

- Miyo
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

that's OT
miyo

Post by miyo »

I know, but thank you for reminding.

- Miyo
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

miyo wrote:
turin wrote:This is exactly what dave has said it does equal.
If that is the case I disagree with him.

- Miyo
What grounds have you for disagreeing? What else is Classic supposed to be? And if not, how is it supposed to be different from Default?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Why is race such a big deal? (in Wesnoth)
I haven't seen anywhere in the game that explicitly refers to a unit's "race." Yes, it's often part of the name, but that not as definite a statement.

In other words, the player will see some units described as Orcs and some as Goblins. As the game is now, he is free to understand them as part of the same race, or not. Either way, i don't think he's really going to care.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

'Classic' refers to the oldest and most classic groupings that the creatures of Wesnoth have. These are most commonly by race, but can contain some cross-race alliances.

This is the 'classic' era. Not the era where all the races of Wesnoth were struck with pathological xenophobia, and all waged war against any who weren't exactly the same race.

As such, mermen can join with Elves, and Trolls can join with Orcs.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
miyo

Post by miyo »

Seems I did not need to disagree with Sirp. I rest my case.

- Miyo
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I think all the discussion of classic or not with "pure" race leads nowhere...so what about an anticlassic with pot luck choice...the player can recruit any units from any race. Let's have the paladin fight side by side with the lich:). From a strategic point of view it's the best test since no player can complain to have an unbalanced race (like in "it's not my fault I'm loosing").
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dave wrote:'Classic' refers to the oldest and most classic groupings that the creatures of Wesnoth have. These are most commonly by race, but can contain some cross-race alliances.

This is the 'classic' era. Not the era where all the races of Wesnoth were struck with pathological xenophobia, and all waged war against any who weren't exactly the same race.

As such, mermen can join with Elves, and Trolls can join with Orcs.

David
If this is the case, I advocate the removal of Classic and the creation of an Era in which each faction is a single race, as Classic is pointless.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elvish Pillager wrote:If this is the case, I advocate the removal of Classic and the creation of an Era in which each faction is a single race, as Classic is pointless.
I don't think we would be committed to make such era balanced. Actually I am not even sure we have to make classic perfectly balanced - it exists to allow certain kind of battles (e.g. elves (no Wose, no Mage) vs orcs (no Saurian)).

Battle for Wesnoth is free software and thus you are free to build your own unofficial add-on (of course people need to have it installed to play with you using that era) or you can even fork the project.

- Miyo
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Christophe33 wrote:the player can recruit any units from any race. Let's have the paladin fight side by side with the lich:). From a strategic point of view it's the best test since no player can complain to have an unbalanced race
Nice. This could be implemented as an "Era".
miyo

Post by miyo »

Maybe 'good vs evil' era?

Good: loyalists, elves, dwarves
Evil: undead, orcs, saurians, bandits

- Miyo
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

miyo wrote:Maybe 'good vs evil' era?

Good: loyalists, elves, dwarves
Evil: undead, orcs, saurians, bandits

- Miyo
Now is when people start crying 'why is race x with good/evil? They are not good/evil at all' :D

It should probably be called the 'Cliche Era' to avoid such laments :wink: