Courage/Fear/Morale

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Courage/Fear/Morale

Post by miyo »

Unit that has lost a lot of hit points or takes heavy damage could possibly panic.

Unit facing horde of enemies and having no friendly units near (3-6 tiles) could possibly panic.

Trait: Courage - unit does not panic.

Trait: Fearsome - units in adjacent tiles can possibly panic...

Trait: Coward - panics when has lost a lot of hit points, takes heavy damage, faces horde of enemies or fearsome unit. Or maybe just panics more easily?

Panic: unit flees opposite direction from nearest enemy (possibly making it run towards other enemies). When unit panics it stays in panic until it recovers from panic. Having unit with leadership near (3-6 tiles) would make unit less likely to panic.

One possibility is that units in panic first head away from nearest enemy and then towards closest friendly city/town/castle.

- Miyo
Last edited by miyo on August 21st, 2003, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Trait: Mighty - fearsome for the lawfull, this trait should not be available for level 1 units.

- Miyo
Last edited by miyo on August 24th, 2003, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Having unit with leadership near (3-6 tiles) makes recovering from panic easier.

When you attack against units in panic you get doubled number of strikes (after all they are in disorder).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Redirected from another thread.
Dave wrote:
zas wrote:Courage/Feel/Morale will render leaders influence. What about a simple moral score, 0-100 ?
0 is total panic
100 is absolute courage
50 is normal state.

For each enemy death add +1 to it,
For each ally death add -1 to it,
for each new village add +1 to it,
for each lost village add -1 to it,
for each unit over level 3 add +1
for each leader death, add -20

It will impact aggressivity score of units...
I have been thinking about morale since miyo first proposed it, and this is the sort of idea I came up with. However the unit that does the killing would be more inclined to get increased morale.

The main thing that makes me dubious about the idea is the way I see it, it will take effect most when a side is already getting crushed anyway, in which case, why really bother? Do we really want to make it harder for a side that's down to be able to make a comeback?

I think the idea does have alot of merit, but I do have reservations. Would anyone like to try to come up with an exhaustive formula on how it'd work?

David
Maybe we should consider leaving morale out of it and just implement simple Courage and Fear checks?

Courage/Fear checks mean that we will check for panic, if it happens unit gets panic status. If unit is in panic we will check if it recovers from it. How units in panic behave have been suggested here. Of course there are modifiers and traits that affect all this... read the thread for what has been talked... err... I have been talking *grin*

- Miyo