One More Round on the Map Credits Subject

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Noy wrote:What DK just posted is my preferred outcome.
Doc Paterson wrote:Also:
There are two main issues here:

1. Users not knowing who to talk to about MP map balance-related feedback.
2. Feedback going through the "wrong" channels (me getting Bec's messages, Bec getting my messages, etc.)

You focus mostly on the second, which is practically irrelevant compared to the first.
Actually I've commented on both, which I think you're not reading in full.
I didn't say you hadn't commented on both, did I? I said you focus mostly on the second. It was a comparative statement, describing an imbalance of relevancy and focus on your part.
Noy wrote:the implications of what you want I don't think is acceptable.
The implications of what I want aren't acceptable? That's strangely vague, (or just strangely worded?) but it's probably not all that important.
Noy wrote: If this was about attributing maps to the right person, then PG's name has to be on it, and everybody else who worked on it, despite all the changes made.
There are no other people who've worked on it. PG made that first version, and I made the 20+ versions after that, culminating in the current "Charge." I wonder if this would even be an issue if I'd just deleted that Charge map right away, and developed this branch as a side project. Think people would notice the connection (seeing only this current "Charge" and the PG charge, side by side)? This tangeant isn't all that important to the current line of discussion, regardless.
Noy wrote: It still bears the name given to it.
Good God, do I really have to repeat myself on the name point again? :P The map has held the name of a completely different map (a map made by PG) for far too long. The name is in the process of being changed.
Noy wrote: I'm not denying you've put alot of work, and the map itself is completely different, from what it was before, but at one point the current map was worked on by him, and since then you've made innumerable changes, but his contribution cannot be ignored.
If you really want to know the full story of his "contribution and work" on the Charge and Blitz maps, I'll PM it to you. I'm guessing it's not what you think. Bringing all of that up again isn't a direction that I think this thread should go in at the currrent time.
Noy wrote:Yet really since you don't play online as you claim

Oh, give me a break. Do you really want to take the discussion in this direction? I play online all the time, and would make/would have made myself much more "recognizeable" to users upon the implementation of the credit plan.
Noy wrote: thats not a realistic place to get balancing suggestions in any case.
Like I said, regardless of you being aware of it, a good deal of useful balancing information has and will continue to come from such sources. The credit plan was one idea for accelerating the process.
Noy wrote: if we need better ending credits, or a new MP Faq, thats fine, I agree fully. Actually if anything that is something that we pointed out needed writing a while ago, and has been stalled.
I agree with you here fully; the sooner we can do these things, the better.
Noy wrote: Its not equitable to others and their contribution,
The working concept was that it would be equitable to the degree of contribution, and would credit the designers that shaped the current version of the map. See my writings on Castle Hopping Isle, far above. Again though, all pretty irrelevant at this point.
Noy wrote: More or less I've pointed all of this out before. Yes we need to have good balancing feedback, but what you were proposing from the start I never believed to be either fair, or the best solution to the problem.
Ah, okay. Now that we seem to have come to a sensible solution, you're here to tell me that you believed I was wrong all along. Nevermind the fact that you opposed me for working towards the same end-goal that DK's suggestion achieves. More importantly, you argued that the feedback of a large pool of average players wasn't worth making accomodations for, and that the above end goal was essentially a waste of time, regardless of the mechanism of its realization.

I think you're just taking this discussion in circles for the sake of having the last word. I asked for feedback on DK's idea (an idea that achieves the goal of letting the average user know the person to talk to for map feedback), and you gave it with your first sentence.

So, thanks for that.

Enough is enough, wouldn't you agree?

We've resolved what needed to be resolved with this issue.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
appleide

Re: One More Round on the Map Credits Subject

Post by appleide »

Currently maintained by Doc Paterson
That's good enough I think.
If you really want to, leave a comment in the map, not necessarily the description.

Code: Select all

#!Evolved over several years from the original Charge by pg.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: One More Round on the Map Credits Subject

Post by Doc Paterson »

Please read the dates of threads before drudging them up for no useful purpose. :augh:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme