request for info on history of wesnoth

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

request for info on history of wesnoth

Post by Darth Fool »

I received the following request for information. Besides the links at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Play under world of wesnoth and the unit tree, are there any other wiki links or forum topics that he should be pointed at? Have we named an official historian of Wesnoth (Turin?) that would serve as a better contact.

For now, I will point him at this topic so he can follow any responses that you have. I have left this in developer's discussions so as to remain relatively free of random commentary from people who don't really have semi-official answers. If he has follow up questions I will suggest that he post them in the user's forum.
diegof wrote:hi mi name is Diego Ezequiel Ferreyra, i'm from argentina and some friends and i have been working on a proyect named CROS (Core of RPG Open System) the system is almost done, but we would like to release the system together with an ambientation, one of the CROS developers sugested we make a Wesnoth ambientation and we all liked the idea so i ask if you can provide me whit a fully detailed document containing the history of wesnoth and of all the races and clases available in the game, or if you can put me in contact whit someone who can. my e-mail adress is email removed, PM instead i thank you for taking the time to read my letter and i apologyze for any gramar or spelling mystake.

Saluda atentamente Diego E. Ferreyra.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Maybe if we understood the context of the request better?

"ambientation"? i couldn't google up a translation of that.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Maybe if we understood the context of the request better?

ambience; e.g. background/setting.

It's a spurious "english" word - constructed using the closest thing our language has to rules, but unfortunately not a legit member of the dictionary.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Eleazar wrote:Maybe if we understood the context of the request better?

Given that they're working on an open game system, and discussing the construction of "ambientations" for it, my interpretation would be that he's using the word to mean "setting".

If this translation is correct, he's interested in the details of the Wesnoth world: The various nations and their history, races, heroes, geography, etc. You know, the stuff you use to construct stories in a roleplaying game.

I know that we have some documentation on this; timelines and so forth. Are there any further documents, other than what can be found at the wiki?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry