Discussion: "Policy for adding campaigns to mainline&qu

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Discussion: "Policy for adding campaigns to mainline&qu

Post by ivanovic »

This thread is meant to discuss the Policy for adding campaigns to mainline and to nominate campaigns that should be considerd for addition to mainline.
Last edited by ivanovic on May 9th, 2007, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

In the past it has been the general policy that when someone develops a campaign and it gets included, that that person is automatically made a developer and given SVN access so they can continue developing their campaign in mainline.

I think that we should continue this policy: when someone's campaign gets accepted, they should be offered SVN access and should still be the main person in charge of modifying and improving the campaign, until they hand over this responsibility to someone else (hopefully) or abandon their campaign (which would be unfortunate).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I had raised that point in the wesnoth-dev ML, and had few/no reply on that particular point...

I think that if we plan to include a large number of campaigns, we should not give SVN access to all the campaign devs...

my main point is that if we give them SVN access, we can hardly remove the campaign from mainline without bruising some ego...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I myself am kind of a sucker for custom. I am inclined to agree with what Dave said, but Bounceman has a point about egos being bruised if they are removed. Perhaps, when the campaigns are in on a trial basis, the campaign designer should remain witout SVN access, and then when it has been decided to leave it in permanantly, it should be given to him...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, in my view, the idea was that campaign authors would not have SVN access, but could (of course) postulate to become a generic campaign maintainer...

so the granting of svn right would be done by the campaign maintaining team (which are the ones integrating the campaign in the first place, so probably the ones with the best external view on the state of the campaign/the abilities of the author)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I don't see bruising ego as a reason - we'll do this in just about all cases where we remove some campaign anyway.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Giving SVN access is not a big deal. All you have to do is make one or two small contributions and we'll generally give you SVN access because at that point it's much easier to let you make changes yourself than find developer time to merge your patches.

If you contribute an entire campaign then you should definitely get SVN access.

I also don't see why it would bruise your ego any more to have your campaign removed when you have SVN access than when you don't have it. People who have SVN access have content they added to the game removed all the time.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming