host Return to Setup

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Sapient wrote:Eleazar - I just changed that behavior in trunk. Menus can stay scrolled to the bottom now. (Also, try clicking on the menu and pressing the 'End' key to go to the bottom.)
Great.

Another oblique fix (doesn't solve the lag but removes the player from contact with some of it) is to allow the host to "Return to Setup" rather than "Quit" back to the lobby.

I've played a few MP games recently where the host set up stuff the wrong way. The game would feel more responsive, if the host could return to the game's set-up screen, with all the players and current settings intact. The problem could be fixed in a couple clicks, rather than having everyone return to the lobby, wait for the host to set the map up again... etc.

Actually this would be handy for a non-networked 1 vs AI in MP. I know i would appreciate it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Eleazar wrote:I've played a few MP games recently where the host set up stuff the wrong way. The game would feel more responsive, if the host could return to the game's set-up screen, with all the players and current settings intact. The problem could be fixed in a couple clicks, rather than having everyone return to the lobby, wait for the host to set the map up again... etc.
That is a great idea! I have been in many games that have had multiple (maybe up to 4-5 in some cases) restarts within a few minutes.

On the other topic, I think that having open games listed first might cause problems whenever a game is formed or canceled because it would move all the games in the list, which is bad for many reasons.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."