Proposal: Eliminate the Holy damage type.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Proposal: Eliminate the Holy damage type.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It is now possible to implement an attack ability that does not exclude Magical, and which causes the attack to do double damage to the undead:

Code: Select all

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_HOLY
		[damage]
			id=holy
			name,name_inactive= _ "holy"
			description,description_inactive= _ "Holy:
This attack deals double damage to undead."
			multiply=2
			apply_to=self
			[filter_opponent]
			race=undead
			[/filter_opponent]
		[/damage]
#enddef
I propose that:
- this macro be added to abilities.cfg.
- the Paladin's attack be made 8-5 holy blade
- the attack of the White Mage be made 6-4 magical,holy fire
- the attack of the Mage of Light be made 8-4 magical,holy fire
- the attack of the Mermaid Priestess be made 5-4 magical,holy fire
- the attack of the Mermaid Diviner be made 7-4 magical,holy fire
- holy damage type resistances be removed from all movetypes and units.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Removing holy as a damage type sounds like rather reasonable to me. The details might need some ironing out (like is it ok to give two specials to an attack, etc).
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Sounds like a good idea to me.
JW

Post by JW »

Thank you. I always thought this was possible. My quest ends here. And actually, I can indorporate that into the EOM. 8)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Turin Say:

Yes.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I don't get it.

...but anything that involves getting rid of holy is good.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:... The details might need some ironing out (like is it ok to give two specials to an attack, etc).
Yeah, my concern is if there are any interface issues with craming 2 weapon specials into the space were formerly only 1 had been. Otherwise i'm neither excited nor alarmed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hm.

I approve of this; though I would at first suggest that the attacks of the white mage and such be changed to impact, rather than fire. The reasoning behind this is that with those as fire attacks, those units would be grossly overpowered against a number of other units. Heavy infantry being one, woses being another; it would also be strangely weak against drakes.

Not only that, they would not merely do 200% damage to undead now, they would actually deal more than that, since it would be +20%*2 for the fire weakness.

But this still leaves the problem that some units are weak to impact - there is no damage type we can use that will have "no weaknesses", which is what we need.

So, then, what we REALLY need, is to define a new damagetype, for which there are NO RESISTANCE CHANGES FOR ANY UNITS. We could call this damage type "damage/neutral/normal/general", perhaps.

So, with this, the paladin would have:
attack="Sword" type=blade special=holy
And the white magi:
attack="Holy Light" type=normal special=holy
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:( Oh, shite, wait.

What do we do about the ghosts?

They have only a 50% weakness to holy. And we did that for a good reason - without it, they can get killed in one hit at full health, during the day.

(At this point, Jetryl points out that one possible solution would be to give ALL undead only a 50-60% weakness to holy; this in turn might actually improve balance considerably. If we do this, I think the white mages should get a significant boost to their health, too.)
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

maybe give the mermaid line holy/ice instead of holy/fire...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Actually, the really nice thing about this WML is you can have all sorts of fun things like swords of orc slaying or spears of dragon slaying or pitchforks of bug squashing.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

DFool's new chosen profession is to point out in every thread possible, that "you can already do that with WML" ;)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Couldn't we just make it so it does 1.5x damage against ghosts but 2x damage against regular undead? It would require more than one [weapon_special] tag, but that doesn't really effect the macro...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:Couldn't we just make it so it does 1.5x damage against ghosts but 2x damage against regular undead? It would require more than one [weapon_special] tag, but that doesn't really effect the macro...
Then you have to tell the player that "this attack deals double damage against undead, except ghosts, against which it deals 1.5x damage" - not good.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote:DFool's new chosen profession is to point out in every thread possible, that "you can already do that with WML" ;)
What a great idea! Signature updated to reach maximum audience!