Faction Based GUI

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pic
Art Contributor

Faction Based GUI

Post by Pic »

Perhaps a GUI based on the faction the user is currently playing may be a good idea? Music is faction based, why not the GUI?

No Major changes of course, nothing distasteful. Maybe a slight recolouring of the borders, Or a slight ornamental corner background effect in the information boxes? Slightly different cursors?

(Off topic: I did a search for faction gui on all boards...and got 1337 results. How ominous)

[edit] Should this have gone in the ideas forum? [/edit]
Flametrooper

Re: Faction Based GUI

Post by Flametrooper »

Pic wrote: [edit] Should this have gone in the ideas forum? [/edit]
Hey, I can actually post here. :o Anyways, as far as I know, the Idea forum is for new ideas, and this is for discussing ideas that have been given a "yes" already. But I don't know much.
As to your actual idea, I don't know quite what you mean. Like when you're playing Rebels, a foresty background appears on things? My first thought is it would be too distracting. If it's not distracting and rather subtle, just a barely-noticed bit in the background, then yes, it might add to the effect.
(BTW, what would this do in campaigns, as in some (read: HttT) you end up being in control of 3 or so factions?)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Nothing as obvious as a forested background, but something subtle, slight colour tweaks, slightly different cursors shapes (i.e. A little more elegance for the elves and so on) maybe some slight subtle design tweaks to the boxes on the left and right that are currently black, Instead of being solid black for instance (sticking with elves) an interlacing leaf design running of the corners in a kind of subtle corner scrollwork effect (For those that may not know of scrollwork here are some examples [not suitable of course, but just to get the idea] http://www.umaine.edu/set/svt/gif/Scroll.jpg , http://www.adorableideas.com/images/Embe7b.jpg , http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000 ... ZZZZZ_.jpg)

As to campaigns they could use the default, or make there own I suppose

I must stress the changes would be subtle else it would grow distracting, but I think it would help give each faction even more of its own feel when playing.
JW

Post by JW »

I think it might be neat. The real trick will be creating these graphical displays and then getting someone to figure out how to add them.

I like the general idea.

There would also have to be a "default" display for various reasons.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Personally, I think it's an awesome idea. 8)
There's already support for custom themes in ThemeWML.
With a little code tweaking, it can be made to automatically select certain themes for certain factions, if the player desires.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Perhaps too much effort for too little return? I don't know.
If done well, it would certainly be nice. I support the idea in principle.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Pic wrote:Perhaps a GUI based on the faction the user is currently playing may be a good idea? Music is faction based, why not the GUI?

No Major changes of course, nothing distasteful. Maybe a slight recolouring of the borders, Or a slight ornamental corner background effect in the information boxes? Slightly different cursors?
Sure. I approve this idea, and AFAIK, the code is already there.

BUT, I'm not doing any of the work for it. If you want this to happen, you have to do some of the drawing.

On a side note, some general gui-like pieces that could be used in, for example, web design, would be excellent. Especially, say, simple black-on-white scrollwork that could be integrated easily into many places with some simple photoshop effects. I could use that on maps, like an inked, pattern around the edge of an illuminated manuscript.

Because of copyright reasons, I can't just rip off someone elses scrollwork images, and I'm loathe to take the time to make my own.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Pic wrote:Music is faction based, why not the GUI?
Music was faction based in 1.0.x but is not anymore in the development branch and will not be in 1.2.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This would be cool, I must say. I dunno if it's worth the effort, but... it would be cool. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Then i guess it is time to bring up the factions Arms idea again. I remember having sketches for them, although the Loyalist and Northener ones didn't feel good.

*goes to raid his HD*

Wait, after classes, yes!.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Rough mock-up along the line of what i was thinking, too subtle, or is something more needed? What do you think?

Its not much effort at all :o Do people mean WML wise?

If i did some i would release the scroll working (black on white) for whatever people want.

The scroll working on the attached image is very simple; it's just to give an idea.

Another idea instead of that would be to, (like Jetryl was suggesting?) would be to have the scrollwork come off the corners of the boxes and come -inwards- over the map slightly... , "like an inked, pattern around the edge of an illuminated manuscript." As Jetryl put it.
Attachments
Mockup.png
Mockup.png (133.83 KiB) Viewed 16375 times
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

For comparison it is, before the change.
Attachments
Screenshot_00009.png
Screenshot_00009.png (83.38 KiB) Viewed 16343 times
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I like this idea...in fact, it was one of the original reasons for the 'themes' engine. I also did have a vision of a fairly different GUI based on faction (actually based more on campaign). So much so, that I specially made sure the theme engine could support non-rectangular elements by use of alpha, to allow things like leaves on the sidebar that have a crooked outline and overlap the main display (well, I think it actually works, never been tested...).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I don't really like your mockup pic, I think it would be more interesting with a color overlay, something like on magic cards how it shows what color they are.
Hey! I can post here too
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

like this idea...in fact, it was one of the original reasons for the 'themes' engine. I also did have a vision of a fairly different GUI based on faction (actually based more on campaign). So much so, that I specially made sure the theme engine could support non-rectangular elements by use of alpha, to allow things like leaves on the sidebar that have a crooked outline and overlap the main display (well, I think it actually works, never been tested...).
I like the idea of overlapping the main display slightly as well, but didn't want to be too radical when first suggesting it lest i got thrown to the hounds.

I don't really like your mockup pic, I think it would be more interesting with a color overlay, something like on magic cards how it shows what color they are.
Magic..cards?..*goes to look what these are*

[Edit] Dragonmaster: I don't really like my mockup either thinking about it, has anyone got any suggestions? [/edit]
Last edited by Pic on August 18th, 2006, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.