New Races

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LibrarianBrent

New Races

Post by LibrarianBrent »

So... what is the procedure for requesting/creating a new race? I bring this up because of the dragon-men...
Wesnoth: It's poetry in motion...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

There is none. Though if you create the graphics for an entire new race, I'm guessing odds are it'll get used somewhere by someone.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, I don't know exactly what the concept of race does, codewise... I think it only choose the random name generator....

Dave, is the name generator WML enabled, or do you have to code the new names in C++ ?
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Boucman wrote:well, I don't know exactly what the concept of race does, codewise... I think it only choose the random name generator....

Dave, is the name generator WML enabled, or do you have to code the new names in C++ ?
Looks like it's in WML in the files in /data:
In appropriate races in game.cfg there is an entry to include the name list from names.cfg - eg (for elvish names):

Code: Select all

[units]
	{units}

{names.cfg}

[race]
	name=elf
	num_traits=2
	markov_chain_size=2
	{ELVISH_NAMES}
	[/race]
and names.cfg includes

Code: Select all

#define ELVISH_NAMES
male_names="Tinarariand,Elándil, ......."
#enddef
ie a string of alternative names, separated by commas.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

if you want to create your own race, do all the graphics and all the .cfg files, then use them in a use-made campaign. if the campaign gets popular enough, it might get accepted into the game, thus accepting your race.
but if there is a race you want accepted and no plan on how to use it, or if you want the race for a campaign you are doing, you should just package the race with your .tar.gz/.zip file when you distribute the campaign.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm