Castle patch, now 0.1.0 [Was: Castle patch, version 0.0.1]

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ayin
Inactive Developer

Castle patch, now 0.1.0 [Was: Castle patch, version 0.0.1]

Post by Ayin »

Here is a patch (which should compile against last CVS) that allows castle tiles to have dynamically-built walls, for a more castle-ish look. The graphics need polishing (and so does the code), for now it is just a proof-of-concept. Feedback is welcome !

A little (err, actually, a big) screenshot:

http://www.anathas.org/ayin/wesnoth/scr ... enshot.jpg

And the patch is here

http://www.anathas.org/ayin/wesnoth/cas ... 0.1.tar.gz

To apply the patch, untar it in the wesnoth drectory, and then

Code: Select all

patch -p0 <  castle-0.0.1.patch
[Edit: now version 0.1.0. see http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/index. ... em_id=2948 ]
Last edited by Ayin on April 18th, 2004, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

that looks awesome. i might try later to do better graphics, once i figure out where the images are stored.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Turin:

The castle is build from 36 different tiles, which are generated by a script (mk-castle.sh) from a single image. The images are located in the tools/ subdirectory (OK, this location sucks :D), and are named castle.png, and cutout.png. The first one is the castle image, the second the cut-out mask.

The original source file for the castle is the attached Gimp (XCF) file.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I'm very interested in this script and hope a polished version gets in the game, it would enhance the look of some of the levels in my campaign greatly.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Dude, that looks awesome. I know svetlac was working a while ago on creating more complicated castles and keeps by hand, but your simple change makes the castles look a lot more impressive. Of course camps would be nice as well.
FireDragon

Post by FireDragon »

How do you untar it
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

tar.gz files (rename it if after download the name dont end as it) can be opened with Winzip an dmost winzip-alike programs...
FireDragon

Post by FireDragon »

K. I used winzip. Where do I put the files.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Firedragon: you should have a fresh copy of the CVS repository first. You should also have the "patch" utility, and a mean to compile the Wesnoth sources. Extract the files in the directory where you made the CVS checkout, then apply the patch using the given command. Then, compile and install Wesnoth.
Combatjuan

Post by Combatjuan »

Looks good. I really like the way that it was done.
In addition to perhaps having different walls for different castle types, I'd also like to propose having several tiles for the inside of the castle much like grassland has flowers/rocks/etc, thus the inside of the castle looks... cityesque. Wouldn't take too much effort, and I think it'd make the castle graphics look much better.

By the way, I'm officially volunteering someone else to do the graphics. Not me. I'll draw flowers. (-8
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Phil. 1:21
FireDragon

Post by FireDragon »

Patch utility?
Ayin
Inactive Developer

New castle graphics

Post by Ayin »

Here are new graphics for the castle patch, to be untarred in your wesnoth directory (either in the source directory, or in the installed data directory).

I am not sure they are really in proper wesnoth-style, but they may still be better than the current ones.

A little screenshot first

The images are here
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Starting to look good. I would really like to see this replace the current castle graphics in wesnoth.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I have committed this to CVS.

My only comment is that Ayin is a pretty cool coder, as well as a good artist! :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Frank

I assume it's not supposed to look like this...

Post by Frank »

It doesn't seem to work correctly on powerpc. I'll submit a bug on savanah, and maybe try to find what's wrong.

Frank