Desired behavior for above-max-HP units?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Desired behavior for above-max-HP units?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Currently, it seems that the following is the case:

- Being healed cuts HP down to the max.
- Taking damage from poison cuts HP down the the max (but doesn't reduce it further.)
- Levelling up (INCLUDING AMLA) cuts HP to the max.
- Taking damage normally leaves HP above the max.

While being in this state is hardly normal, the current behavior is quite ridiculous! I see two simple alternatives which I would prefer:

1) Units can't go about the max, ever.
2) Units above max HP can only lose HP; trying to gain HP (through normal means, like healing) does nothing.

Thoughts?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Currently it's unspecified behavior, so it may change from version to version without notice. However it would be nice to have a consistent behavior for certain abilities designed to allow hp to exceed max hp (for example the 'bloodlust' ability). Alternatively, one could argue that maximum really means maximum, in other words you should design these special units to start with hp(initially) less than max hp, or for their maximum hitpoints to increase as they are surpassed.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Giving units intended to surpass their max HP less than max HP to start with is flawed. It would allow the unit to just sit in a village for a few turns and get up to its "real" max HP, when the intended behavior is the unit can only surpass the max by (for example) dealing damage in battle.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Personally I like the elegance of having max HP mean what it says and not allow the HP to exceed it. An ability such could temporarily increase the max-hp, but I imagine that the WML to reduce it to its original value might be a little hairy, but I would prefer that to having a confused definition in the c++ code.