History of the Old Continent on the Wiki?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

appleide wrote:
turin wrote:This is my current plan - write a history of the world of wesnoth, a history of the old continent, a history of the GC, a history of Wesnoth, a history of the Northlands, a history of Lavinia, a history of the northern forests, and a history of the green isle. They will overlap a lot, of course. I won't make them wiki pages, though, until I get a consensus...
I see this is Turin's plans to get the Imperial Era officiality. After writing brilliant history texts, people want it in the wiki, then soon later, Imperial history become and integral part of Wesnothian history, and the Imperial era will become official.
And this is bad because.... ?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

appleide wrote:I see this is Turin's plans to get the Imperial Era officiality. After writing brilliant history texts, people want it in the wiki, then soon later, Imperial history become and integral part of Wesnothian history, and the Imperial era will become official.
This depends on your definition of official. If you mean packaged with the game then that might be his plan. But as far as I am concerned becomeing official is relatively easy, Liberty, Saving Elsenfar and Legend of Wesmere are considered official in that they are part of the history, like the imperial era would be, so I don't see why an era couldn't be official in the same way.

Of course it would be nice for it to be sent with the game (that way you can't go on MP and find that the versons are out of sink, or that the other player doesn't have the imperial era), but I can't imagine this happening any time soon, as it is already hard enough to get all of the animaitons done for the default era, let alone adding another five factions, so if it is made official (and therefore become part of the art doing focus) it won't happen really soon unless it has most of it's animations done, having history isn't the only requirement.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Jetryl wrote:
appleide wrote: I see this is Turin's plans to get the Imperial Era officiality. After writing brilliant history texts, people want it in the wiki, then soon later, Imperial history become and integral part of Wesnothian history, and the Imperial era will become official.
And this is bad because.... ?
And you thought I said it was bad because.... ? It is a good thing, isn't it? To have more history in Wesnoth? Why, Jetryl, would you think it is bad? :? My post was badly misinterpreted when it was supposed to be a complement of some sort.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

appleide wrote:And you thought I said it was bad because.... ? It is a good thing, isn't it? To have more history in Wesnoth? Why, Jetryl, would you think it is bad? :? My post was badly misinterpreted when it was supposed to be a complement of some sort.
Because "people" would say stuff like that.

Some people worry about concepts like bitrot and maintenance, even when they don't apply at all to the situation at hand, and these people try to forbid stuff based on that.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darn, you caught on to my evil scheme. ;) :roll:

/me goes to merge Ranger M's new content with the rough drafts...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I like whats been done with the history, but after reading the history I want to say a few thigs.

While there was the Marauder-Side war, the Frost Elves Flanked the Sidhe from the back which resulted in their defeat.

And of course after Lavinia's defeat and the flight of the Dardonai the Sidhe/Arendians/Marauders/Airya would all take conquest of the now almost defenceless lands near them. Since as Turin said though the Lavinians are defeated they are still there, just more nomadic.

Also, after a couple decades or so it would be obvious that the Sidhe would wage war and probably weaken the Frost Elves.

It will be something like this:

Code: Select all

200-300
All the remaining factions expand their borders taking most of the lost land.

280-300
The sidhe cunningly move their armies through a ford resting on islands along the way to the lands of the frost elves, and before landing they use their wisest Warlocks to summon a storm to cover their entrance and damage the population within. 

300-345
With the storms of the Sidhe raging with revenge and the warriors having a thirst for blood, the Frost Elves are massacred and the Marauders are unable to help due to the Immense storm raging within. So, the Frost Elves are subdued. But Unbeknowst to the Sidhe the remaining Frost Elves, with a total of 3,500 people had frozen themselves in a stasis and were hidden from the Sidhe.

345-500
The Marauders wage a war that has seemed to never with the Sidhe just ensuing forever, unaware of the doings of any other faction

395-400
The Frost Elves had awakened from the frozen slumber and stayed hidden and rebuilt their community

400-415
(don't know whether or not, need turins consent)
During the waging war the Lavinians had time to re-merge their civilisation back to how they were just before the Golden Age, and when the Sidhe/Marauders found out it was too late the quench the ever growing legions alone.

What do you think. Also I may not reply to any replys due to issues
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Don't have a problem with that, I just didn't have anything to add after 200 YW...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

The only problem that I can see is that it assumes that the orcs (who were still massing at the end of my bit after turins) then... do nothing and allow Lavinia to grow again (something that wouldn't happen, ever, we are talking about orcs here), best include something about a fight between them (possibly plus olf allies) the orcs, and the Kedri.

The massing orc hoards also could be mentioned as a reason that the sidhe and maurauders assumed that Lavinia would never recover and become a threat again.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? Actually, it seems rather unlikely to me that Lavinium would rise again. After all, the Roman Empire did not rise again. The people in it did not disappear, but they formed new nations.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote::? Actually, it seems rather unlikely to me that Lavinium would rise again. After all, the Roman Empire did not rise again. The people in it did not disappear, but they formed new nations.
It would be more likely that if it did form again, then it would be smaller, have a different culture and attitude, and call themselves something else. After all, that's what happened in Italy (well, I'm not sure about different culture as I have never studied Italian history).
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I completely fear the idea of a new raise of the Empire, this time with a religion and weaker, just like in real history.

If it is going to revive, let it revive as it was before. I don't want someone(yet) to go capitalize en its end and go all Feudal Era on it.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Ranger M wrote:The only problem that I can see is that it assumes that the orcs (who were still massing at the end of my bit after turins) then... do nothing and allow Lavinia to grow again (something that wouldn't happen, ever, we are talking about orcs here), best include something about a fight between them (possibly plus olf allies) the orcs, and the Kedri.

The massing orc hoards also could be mentioned as a reason that the sidhe and maurauders assumed that Lavinia would never recover and become a threat again.
That is a good idea, my further thoughts on that was once Lavinia rose again and the three main warring tribes were equal, since when Lavinia falls, how are they still such a powerful race in MP, so I was bringing them back.

Like everyone else said and as I stated they were as powerful as the time before the Golden Age

Further things and some edits:

250-350
The Orcs who inhabitated the remnants of Lavinia tried their luck at taking out the Airya and a war ensues in which the airya send the orcs back to the north-west mountains away from the ruined city.

415-(infinity or close enough)
The Frost Elves repair their community, and destroy their alliance with the Marauders for they did not come to their aid. Marauders and Sidhe keep waging war, with armistace every couple years to bury the dead and recoup their losses. The Lavinians tried as they could to rebuild their fallen civilisation back to the former glory but didn't prevail, and so they waged war on their lost lands
Is that a bit better?
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Ugh, tense-mixing!

This:

250-350
The Orcs who inhabitated the remnants of Lavinia tried their luck at taking out the Airya and a war ensues in which the airya send the orcs back to the north-west mountains away from the ruined city.

The Frost Elves repair their community, and destroy their alliance with the Marauders for they did not come to their aid. Marauders and Sidhe keep waging war, with armistace every couple years to bury the dead and recoup their losses. The Lavinians tried as they could to rebuild their fallen civilisation back to the former glory but didn't prevail, and so they waged war on their lost lands
Becomes this:

250-350
The Orcs who inhabitated the remnants of Lavinia tried their luck at taking out the Airya and a war ensued in which the airya sent the orcs back to the north-west mountains away from the ruined city.

The Frost Elves repaired their community, and destroyed their alliance with the Marauders for they did not come to their aid. Marauders and Sidhe kept waging war, with armistace every couple years to bury the dead and recoup their losses. The Lavinians tried as they could to rebuild their fallen civilisation back to the former glory but didn't prevail, and so they waged war on their lost lands
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

What are the Airya? :?
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:What are the Airya? :?
A miss-spelling of Aiyira?