Lots of blank-black screens when Wesnoth starts up.

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Lots of blank-black screens when Wesnoth starts up.

Post by Eleazar »

Launching Wesnoth can take a while.
There's lots of blank, black nothing at the start.

Would it be possible to load the music and the front-page graphic much sooner in the start-up processes? The wait wouldn't seem so long with rousing battle music.

Or at the very least, some sort of graphic (like the "W" icon) in the middle of the screen to indicate that it is actually starting up.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I had a similar idea that had been discussed in http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9965.

IIRC, someone had made a feature request.

Having a black is mostly annoying because (at least on windows) it gives a newcomer the impression of having his computer crashing because you can't even move the mouse. A splashscreen might help.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think it's a good idea.

The main problem is that at the moment, the specification of the title screen (image to be displayed as the title screen and so forth) is specified in the data files, and so the data files have to be loaded first. Loading the data files is the main thing that takes all the time on startup. The data files comprise one big WML document, so only loading part of the data files isn't an option with the current architecture.

We could come up with some alternatives though....display the logo as suggested, or perhaps make a seperate small WML document which just contains the title screen info, and load and display that first.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
toms

Post by toms »

I would like to see a special intro music wich is short and starts with the game start, but continues when the game is loaded,and after it´s over, tha game shifts to the menu music.

I´m for this idea, basically. :D
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

added a simple feature request.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Disto

Post by Disto »

Dave wrote: or perhaps make a seperate small WML document which just contains the title screen info, and load and display that first.

David
That to me doesn't seem hard, you've already got the WML so all you need to do is specify another file to load....
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth