Movement Reminder

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deonjo

Movement Reminder

Post by deonjo »

Sometimes when I'm playing wesnoth, and I send like 1 unit out somewhere that will take 7-8 turns, I constantly forget about him, and his position. So he will ussually fall prone to danger. for example, i would send one outrider to capture a house, sure the camera shows me the outrider making his move, but for the rest of the entire turn, sometimes i fail to notice him/her. And as my out rider moves closer and closer to the house, so does the orcs. and beofre I know it, the orcs have landed on the house instead of me, and have sourrounded my lone outrider. Of course, now that might seem a little exagerated :P But on a smaller scale, these things do happen.

That's why I want to propose this new idea. Maybe it's been posted before, but here it is. It is to have those "footprint" marks remain on the map, after you move the units. So when u select somewhere far for a unit to go, his path remains on your screen, so u can see where he is going, and maybe how much longer it will take.

This will apply only to your screen in MP. So your opponents won't be able to see the path. Of course your opponent will stll be able to have his/her own paths that you can't see.

I believe this could change the tactics of warfare a bit differently, and spped up the process of MP games. Ussually I'm forced to move each unit one by one, because to avoid that scenario I brought up. So that makes the MP games pretty slow. But with this system, you can see where your units are moving, and move them aheah a few turns so u can focus on a more important, and exciting battle nearby.

All in all, I believe this idea should be implememnted. Of course, it will probably have it's bugs. Like when the foot prints cross over, or stuff like that, but I do believe, maybe we should look into thsi idea.
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

anybody wants to throw some criticism at my idea. Now don't all of you jump up at once. :D
Garion

Post by Garion »

'kay.

No. This would be ugly as **** if you had even three or four units leaving footprints all over your map. It'd be distracting and is not worth the trouble it would be to implement.

There should never be a situation in which you are issuing a move order that takes seven turns to complete, for the exact reason that you pointed out above - units with orders like that die.

The solution to this is to quit doing it, not to add a new feature. Especially against a human opponent, moving units one turn at a time is the only safe and tactically sound option, unless you are 100% sure that the place you're sending them to - and the path to it - is protected.

It seems to me that what you're requesting is a simpler way to play the game poorly.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

at the beginning of your turn, units with asigned movement go first. It may be your computer, but it always shows them moving first for me.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Yes they move first if they still have a path to follow but...
deonjo wrote:constantly forget about him, and his position. So he will ussually fall prone to danger. for example, i would send one outrider to capture a house, sure the camera shows me the outrider making his move, but for the rest of the entire turn, sometimes i fail to notice him/her.
I think he's refering to the ones who have completed their long move, are now way the **** out there, and easily overlooked because the view is no longer snapping to them.
It's certainly happened to me a few times, so I can sympathize.
But I think this is something you learn to watch out for after making the mistake enough times. Learning process. :)
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

deonjo wrote:anybody wants to throw some criticism at my idea.
Don't say "u"! "u" isn't a word!

:o

sorry, but that was the only thing I really noticed about the idea. Otherwise it just came across as one of the the "Generic noninteresting fix-some-situation-that-shouldn't-exist-in-a-weird-way-please!!!" ideas that show up all the time.

:o
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

i believe this idea has merit.
If you assign a unit to go a long way, and don't remember exactlly where you sent him, the game give you no way to see where it's going or even if it will continue moving on the next turn. This is not ideal.

rather than having all paths show at all times (which probably would be cluttered) i think the path should be shown when you select a unit.

moving topic to development forum....
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Eleazar wrote:i believe this idea has merit.
If you assign a unit to go a long way, and don't remember exactlly where you sent him, the game give you no way to see where it's going or even if it will continue moving on the next turn. This is not ideal.

rather than having all paths show at all times (which probably would be cluttered) i think the path should be shown when you select a unit.
Incidentally that's exactly how it works already. :P
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
JW

Post by JW »

A nice way to avoid missing any units is to hit the "n" button several times before you end your turn. It may get frustrating at times, namely when you leave many units with movement points, but it gets the job done.

Unless you're talking about seeing what's going on around him as he moves. In that case you should look at your mini-map to see what areas you have unfogged (if you aren't using fog you'd have to look at the colored dots) and go over those places again.

Then again, is it really so hard to remember what units you have?
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Soliton wrote:
Eleazar wrote:i believe this idea has merit.

Incidentally that's exactly how it works already. :P
Ha! i wouldnt' quite say "work". The fact that i was told basicly how to see the path, but it took me 10 mins before i happened to click without the least twitch indicates it doesn't work well. (the twitch never matters elsewhere in wesnoth. With one slight exception mouse position only matters hex to hex.

Apparently you can see a units path--if you are very careful. Select the unit that has a long path, but do not move the mouse! If you twitch the mouse at all, the path dissapears. If the path continues beyond the edge of the screen, you must use the arrow keys to follow, because -again- if you move the mouse at all the path dissapears.

Rather i believe if you mouse-over one of your units, it should display it's path (if any) I think if you select the unit, the old path should be greyed out/transparent, while the new potential path is displayed as normal, until you select a new path.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

JW wrote:A nice way to avoid missing any units is to hit the "n" button several times before you end your turn.
That doesn't work: units with paths use up their movement before the end of your turn, so pressing 'n' won't find them.
JW wrote:It may get frustrating at times, namely when you leave many units with movement points
Well, you can press the spacebar to end a unit's movement, but this could still get annoying if you have units which aren't moving at all...
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

There doesn't seem to be anything more to discuss.
Anyway most people who have posted don't actually understand what deonjo was talking about.
--Feature Request submitted.
Attempting Lucidity
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Garion wrote:This would be ugly as **** if you had even three or four units leaving footprints all over your map.
So how about displaying only one pair of footprints next to the unit, to indicate "this unit is scheduled to move in next turns"?