X-XI AD Western Slavons

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alks

X-XI AD Western Slavons

Post by Alks »

Maybe it's not the best idea to start with another faction, while Phantom Lords are in dire need of animation, and Mercenary Dwarves are waiting to be playable, but my friend got involved in Wesnoth, and he decided onto making historical(+mythical) Slavonic faction. He's doing all the graphics and leaves me the rest, so the hardest thing is done.

I enclose two sample pics. (historically correct, of course)

The basic idea of tree will be ready when we'll get drunk together and let our thoughts to be constructive. Comments more than welcome, or he'll get onto another period of history and start attacking you with another variant of Polish army in history.
Attachments
Level 2 Shieldsman (orig. Tarczownik)
Level 2 Shieldsman (orig. Tarczownik)
tarczownik lvl2-wersja 2.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

The basic idea of tree will be ready when we'll get drunk together and let our thoughts to be constructive. Comments more than welcome, or he'll get onto another period of history and start attacking you with another variant of Polish army in history.
:idea: Hmm or Czech army! :idea:
Nobody's perfect. Only present perfect is perfect."

--A gramatical discusion in a Wesnoth game
Alks

Post by Alks »

Czech, Poles - that's the idea of this army. New units shall be posted soon.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Interesting. Will there be only historical units, or will there be units from Slavic myth and folklore as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Woses (or something similar) come from Slavic myth and folklore?
cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

Hmmm, nice idea, but Slavs alone don't offer so much possibilities. You could add Goths and plains nomads (Vandals, Huns, Roxolans, etc). You would have more possible units, in this way. I'd incline for helping with arts or cfgs if you want.

A Barbarian-style Wesnoth comes in my mind...:twisted: Barboth :P
Temuchin Khan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Woses (or something similar) come from Slavic myth and folklore?
I thought they came from british folklore :? Or maybe from celtic one :roll:
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...
Alks

Post by Alks »

cataphractos wrote:Hmmm, nice idea, but Slavs alone don't offer so much possibilities.
Nooooo...
How can you claim that? :)
Besides, I'm only stat-maker and propagator, everything goes in the head of Kitajec, graphic designer and main idea donator. And Slavs offer lots of possibilities.

I'm not sure whether Woses come directly from Slavic culture - not even quite sure if they were specifically rooted in one culture. And YES, we(me and second designer Kitajec) do think about mythic beings, delivered from the pagan folklore.

Again - several units posted (I'll post all of them at midnight into some kind of non-mythic armies tree)
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

The slavs myth units can be water spirites, devils, strigas, or some other creatures(i dont know how is there name in englis (like plivník or polednice))

cataphractos

Post by cataphractos »

yeah, wintry witches... and why not? the problem is that cold-magic-mages are too used. Maybe something that killing generates little snowy creatures? :roll: without the carrot and the hat... :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
...but he could regret it...
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

Strigas is a witches which are draining life and blood from peoples(something like wampires). They can morf to a owl.
my idea for a sriga tree

Striga---->Striga Elder---->Striga Flyer(have teleport)
------------------------------>Wampire Striga(have drain)
The strigas will have some veak melee attack and some strong piercing magical ranged atack
Is good idea?

Alks

Post by Alks »

Goooood...

give lots of ideas... that's I have posted this thread.
Kitajec is storming with graphics, he plans lots of units, including Viking Mercenaries, pagan hermits, along with bishops and priests. There is about twenty non-mythical units ready.
Main graphic designer promised me to finally register.
Mortles

Post by Mortles »

viking mercenaries... Varjags?

Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

Hmm... as for mythic creatures... Kinda lot of tree spirits and dryads... it seems it is kinda to much elven... :cry:
But what about...ehm... how I can translate this... hmm...Waterman? Classical being from grandma's fairytales... :lol:
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
Alks

Post by Alks »

Lu Mong wrote:Hmm... as for mythic creatures... Kinda lot of tree spirits and dryads... it seems it is kinda to much elven... :cry:
But what about...ehm... how I can translate this... hmm...Waterman? Classical being from grandma's fairytales... :lol:
Nope, wodnik(Waterman) doesn't goes to translation. It should remain as vodnik. Dryads are of Greek origin. You meant rusalkas probably. And yes, they are typical beings from fairytales - old good Slavic beings will rage in forests :D
Mortles wrote:viking mercenaries... Varjags?
Varjags? In Poland we call them Varegs, but that's the same I guess. Around 1000 there was also a Scandinavian Vikings stronghold in Poland, in Jomsborg.
Lu Mong
Location: Somewhere near:/ (Well... not exactly... some bloody Czech Republic...)

Post by Lu Mong »

Alks wrote:
Nope, wodnik(Waterman) doesn't goes to translation. It should remain as vodnik. Dryads are of Greek origin. You meant rusalkas probably. And yes, they are typical beings from fairytales - old good Slavic beings will rage in forests :D
?
Yeah... I suppose you are right, but there is only little of diference between rusalka and dryad... of course that dryad is a lot more peaceful, but as for looking and all they are kinda same...
And I root for Vodník!!! Hehe... It is the damn best fairytale creature ever... :lol:
Darkness beyond twilight,
More crimson than the blood that flows,
Lost in the depths of time,
I call upon thy name!
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

:idea: Just a crazy idea... how about sending an e-mail to Andrzej Sapkowski, maybe he would allow making a Wesnoth version of Wiedźmin. ;-)

This is my idea of Slavic Wesnoth...

Slavic factions -- they should not use the actual names of gods, but the division should follow the pagan religion:

Faction of Perun (order, civilization, weapons, thunder, lightning) -- a regular army (axes, swords, bows), priests (healing, fire magic).

Faction of Veles (chaos, nature, water, underground, music) -- mages and witches (cold magic, teleport, stone, poison), monsters and beasts, criminals, living dead.

One campaign per faction, of course. ;-) Please note that the "Veles faction" is not evil, they are just chaotic (there are good and bad beings on both sides of order and chaos). I imagine the hero of the order campaign to be some nobleman protecting his town from dark forces (evil witches and sorcerers); but the hero of chaotic campaign should be a villager on his personal quest (but later being involved in some major mission).

Slavic units:

A "water man" that lives in water, and when he kills units they become "spirits" (just like necromancer makes walking corpses); "spirits" can not leave water, they level up to "rusalka".

The flying witch should be "Baba Yaga", flying in mortar (teleport, impact attack). In campaign, hero should first fight against her, and when he wins, she will reward him.