Just an RPG idea

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cool?

Yes
56%
No
6%
Shut up, Assasin!
38%

Total votes: 32

Assasin

Just an RPG idea

Post by Assasin »

It's nothing really, just some thoughts i had for any RPG type game. i posted it for the LOTR mod that some fooool is trying to make, but nothing is happening.
Here are some of my thoughts:

This should be an RPG style game. It will work the same as Wesnoth, i.e. battles with recruitment and leaders and keeps, but there will be unlimited turns, and no set enemies or goals, and the maps will be huge. Very huge. You will meet certain characters on the maps, and find some treasures and items. Based on your decisions when you get these events, different maps or scenarios or dialog will be open to you.

Your units that you recruited will be saved for the other scenarios, and if a free online account is created, you'll be able to pit these armies versus other players.

This is just my brief thoughts on it, but if you like the idea tell me and i'll come up with more.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

I think it is a good idea.
It also shouldn't be impossible to do in WML(just look at the other world map campaigns, modifying that to function in a more RPG way shouldn't be hard)
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

One problem might be that, IIRC, the pathfinding system starts messing up if you are in the bottom-right corner really large maps...

Anyway, I don't see the point. If I want an RPG, I'll play an RPG, not Wesnoth.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

AFAIK, the idea is old as hell.

OTOH, i don't know of anyone who have actually pulled it out well, or pulled it out at all. Go crazy.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
scott

Post by scott »

I have an RPG "engine" somewhat put together. It just needs a plot. I haven't worked on it for a long time, but it pretty much works. There are some problems with character development that I am hoping future releases will address, but that's not part of the engine strictly speaking.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Scott: My Campaign i am making is kinda a RPG but more choice making after the first 2, ILP got a Missing unit " bug and if it was fixed i would lose the girl/boy choice, maybe the engine would help out i have the first two scenarios done, and 2 of the main choices that affect the game
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:I have an RPG "engine" somewhat put together. It just needs a plot. I haven't worked on it for a long time, but it pretty much works. There are some problems with character development that I am hoping future releases will address, but that's not part of the engine strictly speaking.
Are you talking a "mod" to Wesnoth or some fancy WML scripts?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

Just a whole slew of macros. They need some polishing to take advantage of upcoming 1.1 features, but as a whole it is basically workable into something. I discovered the process of creating all of the characters and dialog for an RPG is 10x harder than making a normal campaign due to sheer volume.

It supports town/combat movement, random encounters, random/nonrandom NPCs, event triggers, map stitching, and simple weapon inventory. The character development is AMLA-based but not well-developed, but I think I can fix this with advancement events in 1.1.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
JW

Post by JW »

Sounds interesting.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The idea is good. However it doesn't sound much like Wesnoth.

When I want that kind of game I play one of Spiderweb Software's great RPG's. They are prettymuch exactly what Assasin is describing.
Maybe you could check them out Assasin, judging by your proposal I think you would like them.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Yes, but I voted "Shut up" just for the helluvit
Sorry for the meaningless post
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

romnajin wrote:Yes, but I voted "Shut up" just for the helluvit
Thx for the idea.

*votes*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:
romnajin wrote:Yes, but I voted "Shut up" just for the helluvit
Thx for the idea.

*votes*
I was thinking of you quiz. since you had no comeback to my comeback of your bashing assasin thread, i thought i'd through you a bone.

you need all the help you can get. :P

What makes my idea unique, i think, is the recruitment part. You have your main character, and his party, and you can bring out other parties with you, as long as you are in a "recruitment spot" Of course there is a cost, and a limit, to the parties you can have active at once. Also, depending on where you are recruiting and how many units are out, NPC's will react differently to you. If you use a certain party to do something, the reaction will be based on the outcome and the alignment of that party: weather it was a holy, good action or an evil, bad action, and what the outcome was. I'm not really thinking of a mod for wesnoth here, i guess this should go in the off-topic forum because it has nothing to do with wesnoth, but i wanted this to get some other opinions besides the users who reside in the OT.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I'm sorry but the "Shut up, Assasin!" was just tooo tempting.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Aisikle

Post by Aisikle »

I love this idea however i wanted 2 know how your hero would be created, would you pick a unit that is in the data/units folder, or would it be from a whole range of units from all ideas in which case i am creating a new branch of the drake faction and would happily give my idea for "the greater good" :) . perhaps you might just choose race, your class and other things in that manner like in d&d.

If it was anything like that i would most likely be a dark elf fighter of some sort. In any case i hope that i will get a reply and that your rpg idea will be posted soon. :D :D :D :D :D :D
(these are some of my drakes by the way( i don't know if i posted them correctly though :D ))
Attachments
3rd
3rd
drake-Marauder.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
2nd
2nd
drake-corsair.PNG (2.77 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
1st form
1st form
drake-knave.PNG (2.24 KiB) Viewed 3962 times